4459grammarians ahoy

  • Tim Symonds
    25 Jan 9:33 am

      Interesting site for grammarians -

      http://www.sherlocktron.com/figures.pdf

      examples -

      ANTITHESIS — the presentation of sharply contrasting ideas,

      especially those juxtaposed in balanced or parallel phrases of

      grammatical structure. (This figure often includes homoioteleuton.)

      The campaign brought honours and promotion to many, but for me it had nothing but

      misfortune and disaster. (STUD, 15)

      “Stern facts here—no room for theories.” (SIGN, 113)

      “one of those simple cases which are so extremely difficult” (BOSC, 202)

      WATSON: “I came to find a friend.”

      HOLMES: “And I to find an enemy.” (TWIS, 232)

      from the evil-doer of the town to track down his brother of the country (RESI, 423)

      illustrious clients who crossed our humble threshold (BLAC, 559)

      “For once you have fallen low. Let us see, in the future, how high you can rise.” (3STU,

      607)

      if, indeed, so dark a passion may be known under so bright a name (HOUN, 674)

      APOSIOPESIS — a sudden breaking off of a thought in the middle

      of a sentence, as though the speaker was unwilling or unable to continue.

      This does not include statements that are interrupted by another

      speaker or by some activity that suddenly intrudes upon the

      conversation. Almost by definition, aposiopesis must take place in

      spoken dialogue. However, in the last example given here (Was it possible—?) the dialogue takes place only in the mind of Sherlock

      Holmes.

      “It is true. And yet — ” (SCAN, 174)

      “And if you can do so — !” (HOUN, 752)

      “The man who tears a wedding ring off a dead man’s — ” (VALL, 797)

      “But how the deuce — ?” he gasped. (MAZA, 1021)

      Was it possible — ? (LION, 1089)

      ASSONANCE — the repetition of vowel