4609Re: This came on my Twitter feed...

  • Sajan Venniyoor
    May 3, 2014
      Thanks, Binand. That was hilarious.

      HAM: Polonius ... has just been stabbed in’th’arras.
      WATS: Sounds painful. Is this a Danish malady?

      The original Hamlet is pretty funny in an unintentional way, and the Bard's puns are just as terrible as the ones in this pastiche.

      1st DIG: ‘Tis many a year
                   Since we did have good digging, people live so long.
      SHERL: Except for Hamlet’s father.
      2nd DIG:                                         A one-off job.
                   Since then, nothing. Still it may pick up.
                   Ours is a dying business –

      Here's Shakespeare's stab at graveyard humour:

      HAM: Whose grave's this, sirrah?
      1st GRAVE DIGGER: Mine, sir.
      [Sings] O, a pit of clay for to be made
      For such a guest is meet.
      HAM: I think it be thine indeed, for thou liest in't.
      1st DIG: You lie out on't, sir, and therefore 'tis not yours.
      For my part, I do not lie in't, yet it is mine.
      HAM: Thou dost lie in't, to be in't and say it is thine. 'Tis for
      the dead, not for the quick; therefore thou liest.
      1st DIG: 'Tis a quick lie, sir; 'twill away again from me to you.
      HAM: What man dost thou dig it for?
      1st DIG: For no man, sir.
      HAM: What woman then?
      1st DIG: For none neither.
      HAM: Who is to be buried in't?
      1st DIG: One that was a woman, sir; but, rest her soul, she's dead.
      HAM: How absolute the knave is! We must speak by the card, or
      equivocation will undo us.

      [groans]
      Sajan

      On 3 May 2014 13:36, <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...> wrote:
      > This came on my Twitter feed... by "Binand Sethumadhavan" dnanib
      >> > http://www.mileskington.com/More%20Miles/ARTICLES/SherlockHolmesMag.html
      > >
      > > Binand
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic