4942Re: SHSI Delhi catch-up

    Jul 17, 2015
      Seconded! I've been wanting to go to the Sherlock hotel since I nagged my parents into going there last year!

      Sent from Yahoo7 Mail on Android

      From:"Sajan Venniyoor venniyoor@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia]" <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>
      Date:Sat, 18 Jul, 2015 at 12:37 am
      Subject:Re: SHSI Delhi catch-up

      On the subject of SHSI's annual meeting, I passed through Ooty recently and
      had lunch at a moderately elegant bungalow done up in Ye Olde Baronial Hall
      manner. It's called King's Cliff and claims to be *(shudder)* the "mansion
      of Lady Maybn and Lord Reginald". The hostelry is full of fake escutcheons
      with improbable coats-of-arms, shiny armour made in Taiwan and scrolls with
      mottoes like "Tyme Standeth Stille for Ye in Olde Ootye" and other
      cringe-worthy observations.

      I betook myself thither to ye olde restaurant named Earl's Secret and found
      it full of Delhi waiters and a menu reminiscent of Geoffrey's, all
      mulligatawny and fish & chips. Which wasn't surprising, as the chef used to
      work in Geoffrey's.

      Then I discovered from the menu card that King's Cliff had a sister hotel
      some six kilometres away, on Tiger Hill Road. It's called Sherlock.

      [image: Inline images 1]

      Sherlock is built around an old property, a smallish colonial bungalow
      about 140 years old, or so they claim. They have built an additional wing
      with extra rooms, but it's still a compact place, with no more than 13
      rooms in all. (Their website <http://www.littlearth.in/sherlock/> says 9
      rooms; maybe they added more recently). Each room is named after a Holmes
      story ('Baskervilles', 'Blue Carbuncle', 'Copper Beeches', 'Three Gables'
      etc). And the fairly nondescript restaurant is called Adler's Room.

      Other than posters and portraits of screen & stage Holmess down the ages,
      there isn't a great deal that's Sherlockian about the place. There are
      reported to be copies of the Holmes canon in the hotel, but I didn't see
      any; maybe there was one lurking in the escritoire in the reading room.

      There was a somewhat mangy hound sleeping in the garden.

      But for all that, the place is quite charming and the rooms looked clean
      and comfortable. And warm -- there's a fireplace in each room. There are
      pictures of dancing men in the *Dancing Men* room, of the Hound in
      *Baskervilles* and, for some unfathomable reason, the poster above the bed
      in the honeymoon suite had a quote from Holmes' very first case: "Of all
      ghosts, the ghosts of our old loves are the worst".

      I had dessert and coffee in Adler's Room, wandered about the pretty lawns,
      gazed upon ye surrounding hills and dales, and then headed back to
      Kotagiri.

      The Sherlock in Ooty: that's where we should have our next Annual Meet, the
      one after Kolkata.

      Sajan

      *Delhi catch-up *
      Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:16 am . Posted by:

      "Satyajit Gupta" email_satyaHolmesians of Delhi/ NCR - let's catch up for
      an informal tête-à-tête on 9 August (Sunday) afternoon-ish at a location in
      central Delhi. Please feel free to bring along your friends, children,
      fellow fans along. Please watch this space for more details or just text me
      (98114 33382) to be added to the list.

      Cheers

      Satya

      *Re: Delhi catch-up*

      Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:55 am . Posted by:

      "Jay Ganguly" shsieditors

      Aren't you guys coming to Kolkata for the annual meeting? 23
      August?

      On 17/07/2015 2:16 am, "Satyajit Gupta satyajit.gupta@...
      [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia]"