5043Re: SHSI Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot!

  • Noufal Ibrahim KV
    Apr 26, 2016
      On Tue, Apr 26 2016, sumalsn wrote:

      > Dear Holmesians,
      > Why is Sherlock Holmes more popular than Hercule Poirot still?Is it due to the first mover advantage?
      > Sherlock Holmes appeared in 1887 whereas Hercule Poirot was around only by 1920.
      > Was the quality of the Canon superior to Agatha Christie's works?
      > Can members come out with their reasons for this phenomenon?

      I read Poirot only after Holmes and generally felt that it was a rip off
      with some trimmings.

      The only detective series of that time which I've found genuinely
      superior (atleast in content) to Holmes is R. Austin Freeman's John
      Thorndyke.

      [...]