5075Re: SHSI Re: Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot!

  • Noufal Ibrahim KV
    May 7, 2016
      On Sat, May 07 2016, Binand Sethumadhavan binand@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia] wrote:

      [...]

      > As for the popularity question - it is not in doubt that Holmes is
      > incredibly popular. I think the primary reason for that is the
      > "adventure" nature of the Holmes canon as opposed to the "detection"
      > nature of the Poirot canon. I started reading both of them at around
      > the same time - and while Holmes quickly became some sort of role
      > model or fantasy hero, Poirot was just a character in a book.

      This is a very interesting point. My feelings for Holmes have turned
      somewhat lukewarm as I grew older and I found Thorndyke more
      fascinating. The reason, I think, is the change from adventure to
      detection. If Poirot falls into the latter category, I think it's time I
      revisited his canon.