5156RE: SHSI Raffles -The Amateur Cracksman

  • Philip K Jones
    18 Apr
      My friends:

      For those who are interested, Hornung published four volumes about Raffles: "The Amateur Cracksman," "Raffles; More tales of the Amateur Cracksman", "A Thief in the Night" and "Mr. Justice Raffles." In addition, there were a number of pastiches written by a variety of authors. Adam Corres wrote "Raffles and the Match-Fixing Syndicate." Graham Greene wrote "The Return of A. J. Raffles." David Fletcher wrote "Raffles." John Hall wrote a short story published in the "Sherlock Holmes Mystery Magazine" in 1999 and Peter Tremayne wrote two volumes of Raffles tales, titled "The Return of Raffles" and "Raffles in Pursuit." There may have been other authors as well, but these are the only ones I know of.

      However, all of those contributions pale beside the output of Barry Perowne, who, with the agreement of the Hornung estate, began writing a steady stream of Raffles tales in 1932. These included at least twenty five volumes that I know of as well as eighteen or more short stories in "The Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine" and "The Saint Mystery Magazine. Most of the Ellery Queen tales were included in Perowne's last three anthologies; "Raffles Revisited," "Raffles of the Albany" and "Raffles of the MCC."

      Ron is quite correct about the quality of the pastiches. Some are definitely forgettable. Many of the early Perowne volumes were written for the 1930s pulp paperback press and seem to have been more concerned with word count than with fidelity to the originals. On the other hand, some of his other efforts show much better qualities. As with Sherlockian pastiches, the quality varies from author to author as well as over time with individual authors. The problem is that with almost 12,000 Sherlockian pastiches available from hundreds of different authors, the quality runs from abysmally bad up to really great. In fact, there are a several Sherlockian pastiches available that I feel are even better than most of the Canonical tales. For those who doubt my opinion, I offer the MX Publishing series of "New Sherlock Holmes Stories," volumes 1 through 5 or is it 6, now? The Raffles pastiches run from poor through pretty good, at least in my opinion.

      Sincerely

      Philip K. Jones

      An Illdressed Vagabond

      pkenj@...