5165Re: SHSI Contemporaries of Sherlock Holmes

  • Noufal Ibrahim KV
    25 Apr
      There were several fictional detectives around that time. I've read one
      or two stories of Carrados. They're very nice.

      My own personal favourite though is John Thorndyke by R. Austin
      Freeman. A professor of forensic medicine, as I believe his creator was,
      Thorndyke explains the science behind all his work in much more detail
      than Holmes. It can make for tiring reading at times and Freemans rather
      wooden prose doesn't help much either but I do enjoy it. Anyone who
      wants a sample can get one of the books from the Internet Archive at
      https://archive.org/stream/eyeosirisadetec00freegoog?ref=ol#page/n10/mode/2up

      Many of the stories of the time were collected in a multi volume series
      rather aptly called "The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes"[1]. I recently
      managed to get a hardbound volume of the entire series from a local
      bookstore and it's been good reading so far.

      The stories were also adapted into a television series by the BBC with
      the same name[2]. It took some digging but I managed to get the set and
      watch it. Considering that it was made in 1971/72, it has aged rather
      well and I quite enjoyed it. There's one story with Max Carrados, two
      with Dr. Thorndyke, two with Martin Hewitt (who is another nice
      character), One with Lady Molly of the yard (who was, I think, the
      first female fictional detective), two with Professor Van Dusen
      aka. "the thinking machine" and lots more.

      I highly recommend the stories and the TV series to all the people on
      the channel.

      On Tue, Apr 25 2017, sumalsn wrote:

      > Dear Holmesians,
      >

      > There were many contemporaries of Sherlock Holmes who never achieved the renown he had.
      >

      > One of the prominent contemporaries was Max Carrados created by
      > Ernest Bramah, perhaps the first ever blind detective, in a series of
      > popular stories for the Strand Magazine.
      >

      > Although Carrados is blind, his other senses – especially his hearing
      > – have more than made up for his lack of sight, and he can read
      > newspaper print by touch and hear things which others are all but deaf
      > to.
      >

      > The Max Carrados stories appeared alongside Sherlock Holmes in the
      > Strand Magazine, in which they often had top billing, and frequently
      > outsold his eminent contemporary at the time, even if they failed to
      > achieve the longevity of Holmes
      >

      > George Orwell declared them to be, along with Conan Doyle’s Sherlock
      > Holmes canon and R. Austin Freeman’s stories, ‘the only detective
      > stories since Poe that are worth re-reading’.
      >

      > Regards,
      > Sumalsn

      Footnotes:
      [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rivals_of_Sherlock_Holmes_%28book_series%29