5172Re: SHSI Contemporaries of Sherlock Holmes- Martin Hewitt

  • Ron Lies
    26 Apr
      Shri Pratik, Shri Noufai, Shri Noufai Sumal and fellow Holmesians,
        I agree with the Idea that Doyle had individuality in the way he wrote his stories that earlier detective story detective story writers did not. As has been said by Pratik Doyle could make Holmes and Watson interesting as individuals. Doyle also made me care about Holmes and Watson and what was happening to them. For example I knew that Holmes and Watson had to survive the attack of the deadly snake in the Speckled Band case. Yet that fact did nor stop me from saying look out Watson, When Holmes struck the match, started slashing at the bell rope and yelling Do you see it Watson? Doyle did bring them into the world of being believable but Doyle also brought Holmes and Watson into my world as individuals I cared about and still do.
      Namaste, Ron

      "Pratik prats.pratik@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia]" <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...> wrote:

      I don't think it's that,Sherlock Holmes did not have the first mover advantage but what I do think he had which his contemporaries lacked was individuality. He was not just a detective but a person everyone could relate to, he was eccentric ,an addict , a genius, fragile, strong, arrogant, humble all at the same time. In short he was more interesting as an individual rather than just as a detective.

      Cheers,
      Pratik

      On 26-Apr-2017 3:56 PM, sumalsn <no_reply@...> wrote:

      Dear Holmesians and Shri Noufal,

      Here is a  fairly good analysis of Martin Hewitt,investigator

      However I wonder why despite being reviewed well, the works of other contemporaries of Sherlock Holmes just fell within the cracks but SH still stands shining bright. Is it due to the first mover advantage?
      Regards,
      Sumal S

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic