a request

  • Bichitrananda Mishra
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 29, 2006
      hi,
      does anyone have more sherlock holmes stories(not by doyle). please give me the
      stories or show me the path to download.
      thanks and regards
      bichitra

    • Tim Symonds
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 29, 2006
        Re. Bichitra's query on 'sherlock holmes' stories by other than ACD. I don't
        have information on that angle (except I wrote an unpublished one last
        year). However, in terms of writers of detective fiction which equalled in
        quality if not fame the work of ACD, there is a book titled 'The Rivals Of
        Sherlock Holmes', edited by Hugh Greene, published by Book Club Associates,
        London, 1971, with permission from The Bodley Head Ltd who seem to have
        published it first in 1970.

        Hugh Greene had a good career as a foreign correspondent and is best
        remembered because he eventually became Director-General of the BBC, and
        perhaps because he was the brother of Graham Greene.

        'Rivals Of Sherlock Holmes' contains thirteen stories by writers such as the
        Baroness Orczy, Guy Boothby, Max Pemberton et al.

        They have titles that ACD would have been proud of, including -

        'The Mysterious Death on the Underground Railway', and 'The Affair of the
        Avalanche Bicycle and Tyre Co. Ltd'.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2015
          I've been spending free time recently reading stories featuring the
          Forensic detective Dr. John Thorndyke (by R. Austin Freeman). The
          language leaves a lot to be desired but the stories are very detailed
          and interesting. They're a lot more intricate than the ones featuring
          our own detective.

          I was looking through the web for some trivia on the character when I
          came across an anthology called "The Rivals of Sherlock
          Holmes"[1]. Thorndyke himself is featured in one of the stories but in
          general, the list looks interesting. Has anyone here read it?

          Also, are there any fans here of R. Austin Freeman's detective? I find
          him, atleast for the actual detective work, far more fascinating than
          Sherlock Holmes.

          Footnotes:
          [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rivals_of_Sherlock_Holmes_%28book_series%29

        • Philip K Jones
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2015
            Noufal:

            Last week, a comment from The Times was posted on The Hounds of the
            Internet. " A rather grumpy item in "The Times" (London) 21 February under
            the

            headline "The Mystery of Sherlock Holmes: Why is this series of contrived
            plots and plodding prose so popular?". . .

            My reply to the Hounds List was as follows:

            paper titled "Doyle and the Illusion of Holmes" at the Agra Treasurers
            Conference next month in Dayton, OH. The paper attempts to answer precisely
            THAT QUESTION, as stated. If you are unable to attend the Conference, a
            copy of that paper appears in the most recent issue of the "Proceedings of
            Pondicherry Lodge," by the Sherlock Holmes Society of India and in the
            January, 2015 edition of "The Formulary" by The Friends of Dr. Watson. If
            anyone wishes to have a copy and cannot find either of those publications,
            please write to me at the address below and I will send an E-Copy.

            Submitted Respectfully:

            Philip K. Jones

            An Ill-dressed Vagabond

            pkenj@...

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2015
              Noufal:

              I have collected Thorndyke mysteries for years. This is my inventory list,
              with all of the books I know of:

              |-------------------------------|

              |Freeman, R A |

              |----------Dr Thorndyke---------|

              | |In Search of Dr Thorn|PB/F |

              | |Red Thumb Mark [07] XF |

              | ss|Dr T's Cases [09] |

              | |Eye of Osiris [11] XF |

              | ss|The Singing Bone [12] F |

              | |Mystery/31, New In[12] |

              | |A Silent Witness [14] G |

              | ss|T Great Portrait M[18] |

              | |Best of DT |PB/F |

              | |Helen Varden's Con[22] |

              | ss|Dr T's Casebook [23| |

              | |The Cat's Eye [23] |

              | |Myst/Angelina Froo[24] XF |

              | ss|The Puzzle Lock [25] F |

              | |The Shadow/the Wol[25] |

              | ss|The Dead Hand |PB/XF|

              | |The D'Arblay Myste[26] |

              | ss|The Magic Casket [27] |

              | |A Certain Dr. Thor[28] $75 |

              | |As a Thief in the [28] $25 |

              | ss|Dr. T Omnibus [29]HC/G |

              | |Mr Pottermack's ve[30]PB/XF|

              | |Pontifex, Son & T [31] |

              | |Dr T's Discovery [32] VG |

              | |Dr T Intervenes [33] $28 |

              | |4 t Defense: Dr T [34] |

              | |Penrose Mystery [36]PB/VG|

              | |Death @ the Inn [37] |

              | |Stoneware Monkey [38] G |

              | |Mr Polton Explains[40] G |

              | |Unconscious Witnes[42] F |

              | /T Jacob St Mystery[42]Dupld|

              |--------Norman Donaldson-------|

              | |Goodbye Dr. Thorndyke| |

              |----------John Dirckx----------|

              | |Dr. Thorndyke's Dilem| |

              |-------------AHMM--------------|

              | |Dirckx, John 09/08/80]DG/VF|

              I hope it is useful to you.

              Sincerely:

              Philip K. Jones

              An Ill-dressed Vagabond

              pkenj@...

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2015
                Thank you Philip. I haven't read all of them but I've enjoyed the ones
                that I have and especially the rigour which is sadly absent in many of
                the Holmes stories.