is it possible to think like sherlock holmes

  • sumant natkar
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2008
      Well this is quite intresting although Sherlock Holmes
      as a very simple way to explain as to how he arrives
      at his conclusions by saying "Elementary my Dear
      Watson Elementary" is it really possible to think like
      sherlock?

      Why delete messages? Unlimited storage is just a click away. Go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html
    • sridhar C
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2008
        Dear Sumant and other SHians,

        I believe it might be possible to get at least half as good as Holmes, though it will require a great deal of effort on one's part. "Constant vigilance" as one of the professors at Hogwarts put it (Prof. Moody, I think it was), along with immense concentration and perpetual awareness of one's surroundings would be the initial steps in that direction.

        Sridhar
        PS: On second thoughts, say at least a tenth as good as Holmes, rather than half.
        PPS: I'm having third thoughts now.

        sumant natkar <sumant30@...> wrote:
        Well this is quite intresting although Sherlock Holmes
        as a very simple way to explain as to how he arrives
        at his conclusions by saying "Elementary my Dear
        Watson Elementary" is it really possible to think like
        sherlock?

        Why delete messages? Unlimited storage is just a click away. Go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html

      • Anand Balachandran Pillai
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2008
          It is certainly difficult if not impossible to emulate Holmes to the fullest,
          since he was not just using logical deductive faculties but also combining
          it with his vast storehouse of trivia knowledge (such as cigar ashes,
          foot prints etc) to arrive at many conclusions. Not to mention being an
          excellent judge of the human kind and its behavior.

          Still, it is possible to emulate Holme's methods to an extent. A lot of
          it involves in keen observation of people and objects and arriving at
          logical deductions. Inspired by Holmes, I have often tried to guess the
          character or profession of people around me when I visit public places
          which provide space and time for observing others in silence (egs:
          hospitals, airport waiting lounges etc). Of course, this is mostly
          a futile exercise since there is no way to confirm your findings, but
          still it is a stimulating exercise nonetheless.

          --Anand

          --
          -Anand
        • Tim Symonds
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21, 2008
            Recently I posed a quiz question on the number of years Holmes and Watson
            worked together (excluding the 3 'missing' years when Holmes disappeared
            abroad) and which year this association between them started and ended.

            Holmes and Watson began their work together in 1881 and ended in 1903.

            Take away the 3 missing years and it comes to 19 years, but it is always
            said that Holmes and Watson worked together for 17 years. How to reconcile
            this difference? It's a real Sherlockian puzzle.

          • Anand Balachandran Pillai
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22, 2008
              Perhaps Watson did not take part in any Holmes adventure
              3 years after his first marriage to Mary Morsten ?

              --Anand

              --
              -Anand