Activity

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11, 2008
      Dear Holmesians,
      We are lagging behind badly.Can somebody step in with a topic to discuss?
      Sumalsn
    • Johnny Bravo
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2008
        Hi Sherlockians,

        A confusion with the name of the very first story in the canon .. "The Study in Scarlet" , i remember reading somewhere that it was first called "The Tangled Skien". I have also heard references from other sherlockians to the study in scarlet as the tangled skien.

        I had posted the same question on an Orkut "Sherlock Holmes" Forum and the response that i got was that the tangled skien was the name of a movie which featured Sherlock Holmes tracking Count Dracula....

        What do Sherlockians here on Yahoo have to say ?

        Cheers

        We are lagging behind badly.Can somebody step in with a topic to discuss?
        Sumalsn

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        #ygrp-mkp #hd{
        #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        margin-bottom:10px;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad{
        padding:0 0;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
        font-family:Arial;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a{
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o{font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal{
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq{margin:4;}
        -->

      • Anand Balachandran Pillai
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2008
          May be it is the right time to discuss about physically meeting once
          in a year at
          a particular place to add some excitement to the proceedings. This being the
          age of social networking, a number of examples are there of virtual groups
          actually meeting up once in a while.

          If there is sufficient interest, I won't mind shelling out a couple or
          more grand
          to travel to some sufficiently centric place in India for such a
          meeting (Mumbai, Goa ?).
          Well, if we do it smartly and market the "event" well, it is not
          impossible to get funding
          for such a meeting from some crazy sponsor in this age :)

          --Anand

          --
          -Anand
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 11, 2008
            Dear Anand and Holmesians.
            I remember some time back , members in Bangalore had made a serious
            attempt to meet. It is a good idea and definitely worth a try. Can
            anyone step in with suggestions.
            Sumalsn
          • arun.pkumar@wipro.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 12, 2008
              I too agree with this idea. Here is how I see this being organized:

              First we need to identify the place where the members can meet. Since it
              involves a lot of preparations, I would suggest a place from where there
              are quite a few active members. For that, we need to know the city where
              the maximum numbers of people are active. I went through the contacts
              list and it lists only 10 names. The location of other members is not
              known. Since I saw 3 names from Bangalore and since the Bangalore
              members already attempted to meet once, I would suggest Bangalore to be
              the base for the first official meet of the Sherlockian society and I'm
              taking Bangalore as the example in the next paragraph.

              How to go about it: Few members - say 3 or 4 of them from Bangalore meet
              one fine day and discuss as to how they can go about arranging the mega
              event. First on the agenda would be the date - preferably 3 months down
              the line(on a Saturday or a Sunday) so that anybody who is interested in
              attending the event can block the date and prepare themselves by
              undertaking the necessary reservations. Then, the location (along with
              the logistics) where the meeting is gone be held needs to be decided.
              Next item would be to come up with a schedule that would be followed on
              the d-day (which can be collected on the group as well) - as to how we
              are gone spend the day (or half day) when the members from different
              parts of the country converge. Next on the agenda to discuss would be to
              come up with plans for arranging food & beverages for the day. Once
              these details have been finalized, the date for the event will be
              announced to the group and all the members will be asked to send a
              confirmation mail within a stipulated date to one of the Bangalore gang
              members. Based on the number of confirmation mails received, the
              Bangalore gang will arrive at an estimation to cover the cost of the
              location & other arrangements [the detailed plan as stated above can be
              carried out at this stage as well]. Again, a mail will be sent to the
              group members asking them to transfer the stipulated amount to 2 or 3
              bank accounts of the members in Bangalore. This needs to be done if the
              number of entries received turns out to be large and also to make sure
              that we don't have a convoluted figure to deal with in the event of the
              members just sending a confirmation mail & then not turning up. If it's
              a very small number, the amount can be collected at the venue. Also,
              based on the requirements, lodging facilities can be arranged to the
              outstation members. A final Invitation mail is sent to all the members
              who have confirmed their participation.

              I'm from Bangalore and if the group really wants to meet, I will
              definitely be a part of the team of 4 which will have to handle the
              arrangements. This seems a laborious way though. Other ideas &
              suggestions as to how we can carry this out are most welcome.

              /Arun.

              ________________________________

              I remember some time back , members in Bangalore had made a serious
              attempt to meet. It is a good idea and definitely worth a try. Can
              anyone step in with suggestions.

              www.wipro.com

            • Ravi
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 12, 2008
                Hey Arun,

                That's a great idea. Count me in - would love to help out with the
                arrangements / logistics.

                I am from Bangalore. If it is ok with folks, we can meet at Koshy's any
                sunday afternoon.

                What say?

                Cheers,
                Ravi.

                On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 4:23 PM, <arun.pkumar@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > group members asking them to transfer the stipulated amount to 2 or 3
                > bank accounts of the members in Bangalore. This needs to be done if the
                > number of entries received turns out to be large and also to make sure
                > that we don't have a convoluted figure to deal with in the event of the
                > members just sending a confirmation mail & then not turning up. If it's
                > a very small number, the amount can be collected at the venue. Also,
                > based on the requirements, lodging facilities can be arranged to the
                > outstation members. A final Invitation mail is sent to all the members
                > who have confirmed their participation.
                >
                > I'm from Bangalore and if the group really wants to meet, I will
                > definitely be a part of the team of 4 which will have to handle the
                > arrangements. This seems a laborious way though. Other ideas &
                > suggestions as to how we can carry this out are most welcome.

                Carved Upon My Stone,
                My Body Lies, But Still I Roam.