RE: [sherlock holmes society of india] Digest Number 954

  • jeff katz
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2008
      I'll put in my $0.02.

      Apparently, when Newnes collected the second series of stories into the volume entitled "The Memoirs," ACD considered "The Cardboard Box" to be inapproppriate for family reading, due to the implication of adultery (though the violent murder was apparently alright). So they agreed to suppress the story, but since the opening paragraphs were so clever they were grafted into "The Resident Patient." CARD was finally collected in "His Last Bow" in 1917, and so those paragraphs appear in both stories in many editions.

      In the original publication in the Strand Magazine, there are three paragraphs, beginning at paragraph two with:

      "I cannot be sure of the exact date, for some of my memoranda upon the matter have been mislaid..."

      I think the Oxford edition follows this text.

      Note also that the standard text you quote says it was "a close, rainy day day in October," and in the next sentence Watson claims "a thermometer of 90 was no hardship." Ninety degrees in October?

      best wishes,

      Jeff

      > 1.1. Re: Further...
      > Posted by: "Johnny Bravo" dio1988@... dio1988
      > Date: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:25 pm
      >
      > Hi Sherlockians,
      >
      > Anything at all on the copy / paste job in the canon....
      >
      > cheers

      Test your Star IQ
      http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_HMTAGMAR
    • Johnny Bravo
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 27, 2008
        Hi Jeff,

        Phew ... finally that ghost is laid to rest... thanks a million $ Jeff... so it was published that way... aha

        Next question to all... is there any repository of scanned images of the original strand anywhere at all ?

        I have always hoped that the Sherlockians of the earlier generations have tried collecting the originals.... for the future generations....

        cheers

        P.S : Jeff : who is Newnes ?
        Apparently, when Newnes collected the second series of stories into the volume entitled "The Memoirs," ACD considered "The Cardboard Box" to be inapproppriate for family reading, due to the implication of adultery (though the violent murder was apparently alright). So they agreed to suppress the story, but since the opening paragraphs were so clever they were grafted into "The Resident Patient." CARD was finally collected in "His Last Bow" in 1917, and so those paragraphs appear in both stories in many editions.

        In the original publication in the Strand Magazine, there are three paragraphs, beginning at paragraph two with:

        "I cannot be sure of the exact date, for some of my memoranda upon the matter have been mislaid..."

        I think the Oxford edition follows this text.

        Note also that the standard text you quote says it was "a close, rainy day day in October," and in the next sentence Watson claims "a thermometer of 90 was no hardship." Ninety degrees in October?

        best wishes,

        Jeff

        > 1.1. Re: Further...
        > Posted by: "Johnny Bravo" dio1988@yahoo. com dio1988
        > Date: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:25 pm
        >
        > Hi Sherlockians,
        >
        > Anything at all on the copy / paste job in the canon....
        >
        > cheers

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{