An anecdote from Sir Doyle's life

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25, 2008
      Dear Holmesians,
      An interesting anecdote from Sir Doyle, I do not know whether this
      has been discussed here before-,
      Sir Doyle would repeat for the rest of his life an anecdote from
      his first American lecture tour, in 1894. A cabby, dropping him off,
      asked for a ticket to that night's lecture instead of a fare.

      ''How on earth did you recognize me?'' Doyle asked.

      The cabman replied: ''If you will excuse me, your coat lapels are
      badly twisted downward, where they have been grasped by the
      pertinacious New York reporters. Your hair has the Quakerish cut of
      a Philadelphia barber, and your hat, battered at the brim in front,
      shows where you have tightly grasped it, in the struggle to stand
      your ground at a Chicago literary luncheon. Your right shoe has a
      large block of Buffalo mud just under the instep; the odor of a
      Utica cigar hangs about your clothing. . . . And, of course, the
      labels on your case give a full account of your recent travels --
      just below the brass plaque reading 'Conan Doyle.'
      So it goes
      Sumalsn
    • sridhar C
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25, 2008
        Dear Sumal,

        It has definitely been narrated before and I have myself read it quite a few times in various papers and magazines, but however many times I read it, the experience still manages to amuse me.

        Sridhar.

[...]

      • Anand Balachandran Pillai
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 25, 2008
          Amusing... I am hearing this for the first time.
          I googled for this and this seems to be the original link for
          this story.

          http://www.nytimes.com/books/99/05/02/reviews/990502.02waltont.html

          --Anand

          On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:56 PM, sridhar C <cs_gollum@...> wrote:
          > Dear Sumal,
          >
          > It has definitely been narrated before and I have myself read it quite a few times in various papers and magazines, but however many times I read it, the experience still manages to amuse me.
          >

          > Sridhar.

          -Anand
        • sumant30
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 19, 2008
            --- In SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@..., sumalsn
            <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Dear Holmesians,
            > An interesting anecdote from Sir Doyle, I do not know whether this
            > has been discussed here before-,
            > Sir Doyle would repeat for the rest of his life an anecdote from
            > his first American lecture tour, in 1894. A cabby, dropping him off,
            > asked for a ticket to that night's lecture instead of a fare.
            >
            > ''How on earth did you recognize me?'' Doyle asked.
            >
            > The cabman replied: ''If you will excuse me, your coat lapels are
            > badly twisted downward, where they have been grasped by the
            > pertinacious New York reporters. Your hair has the Quakerish cut of
            > a Philadelphia barber, and your hat, battered at the brim in front,
            > shows where you have tightly grasped it, in the struggle to stand
            > your ground at a Chicago literary luncheon. Your right shoe has a
            > large block of Buffalo mud just under the instep; the odor of a
            > Utica cigar hangs about your clothing. . . . And, of course, the
            > labels on your case give a full account of your recent travels --
            > just below the brass plaque reading 'Conan Doyle.'
            > So it goes
            > Sumalsn

            Shows how Sherlock influenced everybody.
          • sridhar C
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 23, 2008
              Dear Sumant and SHians,

              As often as this anecdote has been repeated, it doesn't seem to stale.

              Sridhar