Missing Members

  • KUMAR BHATIA
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 21, 2013
      " THE CASE OF THE MISSING SHSI MEMBERS "

      dear Sherlockians ,
      When Sumal first started the Sherlock Holmes Society of India , several
      members used to write-in regularly .
      Of late , very few members send in their "posts".
      I request Sumal to help solve the *" The Case of the missing SHSI members "*
      and entreat those of us , who seem to have " dropped out ", to return (
      from Tibet ? ) , and start sending messages again .
      Come on C Sridhar , its not enough for you to say " It's been ages since I
      wrote, though I try to read all mails of the SHSI." . Start Writing !
      Another 'old timer " who comes to mind is Mr. Pinaki Roy . Havent heard
      from You for a while , Pinaki .
      Kumar Bhatia

    • Tim Symonds

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 22, 2013
          Hello to the group,

          Yes I'm guilty of failing to post often on this group... assure you all of being more active in the future...

          Recently got hold of the copy of the "Benedict Cumberbatch" Holmes... was in awe watching it... few friends came home over the weekend while i was watching and some of them left after a couple of beers looking at me so engrossed in the series...

          Engrossing for any aficionado I'm sure... the amount of detail the production has gone into is enormous... it is a fantastic tribute to the character. After the Jeremy Bret / John Hawkesworth  series, this is the best video of sherlock holmes that i have seen.

          Cheers

          ________________________________
          Call in Sherlock Holmes to track where they've gone!

          " THE CASE OF THE MISSING SHSI MEMBERS "

          dear Sherlockians ,
          When Sumal first started the Sherlock Holmes Society of India , several
          members used to write-in regularly .
          Of late , very few members send in their "posts".
          I request Sumal to help solve the *" The Case of the missing SHSI members "*
          and entreat those of us , who seem to have " dropped out ", to return (
          from Tibet ? ) , and start sending messages again .
          Come on C Sridhar , its not enough for you to say " It's been ages since I
          wrote, though I try to read all mails of the SHSI." . Start Writing !
          Another 'old timer " who comes to mind is Mr. Pinaki Roy . Havent heard
          from You for a while , Pinaki .
          Kumar Bhatia

        • Prof. Venugopal bhaskaran nair
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 22, 2013
            Hello members, Actually I asked for a meeting of all of us somewhere
            here.And why Sumal you can't organise one/And I feel all the holmesian
            would be eager to attend.
            My suggestion is Kochi where the June will be good to watch the
            monsoon and make a chat.
            love
            venugopal

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 22, 2013
              Dear Prof Venugopal and Holmesians,
              We may try meeting at a place and time convenient to all.However, we need firm commitment to meet and a minimum attendance of at least 10 members to make it a success. Let us try it!
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 22, 2013
                Dear Bhatiaji and Holmesians,
                I agree with Bhatiaji. Initially there was a good contribution of posts and discussion coming in from members. Gradually, participation levels seems to be reducing.I understand that our members are busy in their professional and personal lives but a few minutes to SHSI would enliven all the member's day by your thoughtful and knowledgeable posts on the Master!
                Sumalsn
              • Tim Symonds
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                  See mention of Srinivasa Ramanujan below (also more on his life at http://gadgets.ndtv.com/others/news/google-doodles-srinivasa-ramanujans-125th-birthday-308606)

                  Have a look at -

                  http://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/articles/oxford-mathematicians-help-sherlock-holmes-2.html

                  Excerpt -

                  Alain Goriely and Derek Moulton, mathematicians from Oxford's Mathematical Institute, were asked to invent some nineteenth-century equations to write on Professor Moriarty's blackboard for the film Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Thrones. Their equations, transcribed by an expert in nineteenth-century handwriting, are visible in the background in a scene in which Holmes confronts his nemesis.

                  Sherlock Holmes enthusiasts have speculated that the evil Moriarty may, in fact, be based on elements of leading nineteenth-century mathematicians, including figures such as the American astronomer Simon Newcomb and mathematicians such as Carl Friedrich Gauss and Srinivasa Ramanujan.

                  Dr Goriely said, "On the board you have different aspects of his work, works on the binomial theorem, one on the dynamics of asteroids. Hopefully they are all mathematically correct. You can see all his equations and also you should see hints of the code he uses to encode his [secret] messages to his crew."

                • Tim Symonds
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                    Piece on audiobooks: http://charlottes-sherlockianjournal.tumblr.com/

                    I think my first novel 'Sherlock Holmes And The Case Of The Dead Boer At Scotney Castle' is now on audiobooks. I'm now working on a third, involving Sherlock Holmes and the (true-life) mystery of Albert Einstein's daughter 'Lieserl', born in Serbia in 1902, who disappeared for ever around September 1903. I hope to finish it before the end of the summer.

                    Best to all.

                    Tim

                  • Prof. Venugopal bhaskaran nair
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                      Tim,
                      It is a pleasure that you are again doing it.Expecting at the earliest
                      venu

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                        Dear friend,
                        Thankyou. Hope all the members respond with their preference of venue.
                        venu
                        On 23/02/2013, sumalsn <no_reply@...> wrote:
                        > Dear Prof Venugopal and Holmesians,
                        > We may try meeting at a place and time convenient to all.However, we need
                        > firm commitment to meet and a minimum attendance of at least 10 members to
                        > make it a success. Let us try it!
                        > Sumalsn

                      • ruling_jay
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                          That would be lovely, indeed! It is a brilliant initiative!

                          As a new member who is still in the reading-posts-to-learn-the-ropes stage, I would certainly look forward to an organised meeting! Could we have this on a weekend, if possible, please?

                          Sent on my BlackBerry� from Vodafone

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                            It would be great if such a gathering could be the start of an annual get-together in India for Sherlockians/Holmesians, with a particular topic of discussion each time; eventually some of us around the world might manage to get to them.

                            Tim

                            On 23/02/2013, sumalsn no_reply@...<mailto:no_reply%40yahoogroups.co.in>> wrote:
                            > Dear Prof Venugopal and Holmesians,
                            > We may try meeting at a place and time convenient to all.However, we need
                            > firm commitment to meet and a minimum attendance of at least 10 members to
                            > make it a success. Let us try it!
                            > Sumalsn

                          • Tim Symonds
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                              Many thanks, Venu!

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 23, 2013
                                hello
                                Sure, it will be natural that we have to organise in the week end.
                                venu
                                On 23/02/2013, ruling_jay@... <ruling_jay@...> wrote:
                                > That would be lovely, indeed! It is a brilliant initiative!
                                >
                                > As a new member who is still in the reading-posts-to-learn-the-ropes stage,
                                > I would certainly look forward to an organised meeting! Could we have this
                                > on a weekend, if possible, please?
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > Jay
                                > Sent on my BlackBerryŽ from Vodafone

                              • KUMAR BHATIA
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 24, 2013
                                  bravo ! Johny Bravo.
                                  Good start .
                                  Keep posting.
                                  Kumar Bhatia
                                • KUMAR BHATIA
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 21, 2013
                                    Dear fellow Sherlockians,
                                    I am glad that my "wake-up" call to "Missing Members " evoked a slight
                                    stirring , and we had an increase in 'chatter'
                                    ( though not quite the 'deluge ' that Sumal ,said it was ) .
                                    Glad to have the knowledgeable Pinaki Roy , posting again , and
                                    C . Shridhar promising to write in more frequently .( and not just
                                    'reading' ) keep it up Shridhar !
                                    Where are the rest of the Members ?
                                    Please write in and enrich the stage .
                                    *Kumar Bhatia *
                                    p.s. ; Where is Jeff Katz` ?
                                    Hi Jeff , havent heard from you for a while now !
                                    Do send in your interesting facts and comments