221 B

  • KUMAR BHATIA
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2013
      Dear fellow Sherlockians.
      Tim Symonds "post " on 221 B , brought on nostalgia.
      In May 1980 , I visited London ( for the first time ).
      Needless to say , the first place I went to , in this great city , was
      Baker Street .
      I was aware that 221-B no longer existed by itself and that the Head Office
      of the Abbey National had been built on it ( and several adjacent plot
      numbers )
      I stood on the pavement around where 221 would have been , for a while ,
      until my keenness to actually set foot on " Hallowed Ground ", took the
      better of me.
      I climbed the steps of that magnificent edifice and reached a large hall.
      I approached the "Reception Desk " and informed the lady that I had no
      business to be conducted at the bank , but as a fan of Sherlock Holmes I
      just wanted to be at *221 .*
      She was not at all surprised , and in fact offered me a seat .
      " Some one will see you shortly " , she said.
      A few minutes later , a young lady approached me and introduced herself.
      She gave me her visiting card that said ;
      *ERICA HARPER *
      *Secretary to Sherlock Holmes *
      I had mixed feelings of surprise and disbelief ! yes ,disbelief ! ! , is
      this actually happening ?

      A most gracious lady , Ms. Harper ,made me feel very welcome and expressed
      her pleasure to meet "friends of Mr. Holmes " .
      " We have several , coming in from all over the world "
      She treated me to a cup of typical "English Tea " , teapot and all, and
      we proceeded to spend a few minutes in polite conversation .
      She asked me about myself , where I had come from and for how long I had
      "known " Mr. Holmes .
      In parting, she gifted me with a lapel button with a profile of the Master
      , and a picture post card , a portrait of the Master .
      She gave me to understand that the portrait was commisioned by the Abbey
      National , and the original hangs in the office of the Chairman .
      I left the building , extremely elated and that meeting will live with me
      forever .
      Apparently , the Abbey National , as a public service or perhaps even as
      a public-relations excercise ,
      ( commendable either which way ), had actually deputed one of their
      staff , to meet 'fans" like myself .
      Lastly , and I regret admitting this , I have lost the visiting card of Ms.
      Erica Harper , the lapel button and , most sadly, the post-card copy of the
      Original portrait .
      Now that Abbey House has been sold , one wonders where the "Original "
      painting is ? The name of the artist who painted it ?
      Does anyone know . ? Tim ?
      Kumar Bhatia

    • Prof. Venugopal bhaskaran nair
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2013
        Excellent.I missed that.
        venu

        On 07/03/2013, KUMAR BHATIA <kumarbhatiashsi@...> wrote:
        > Dear fellow Sherlockians.
        > Tim Symonds "post " on 221 B , brought on nostalgia.
        > In May 1980 , I visited London ( for the first time ).
        > Needless to say , the first place I went to , in this great city , was
        > Baker Street .
        > I was aware that 221-B no longer existed by itself and that the Head Office
        > of the Abbey National had been built on it ( and several adjacent plot
        > numbers )
        > I stood on the pavement around where 221 would have been , for a while ,
        > until my keenness to actually set foot on " Hallowed Ground ", took the
        > better of me.
        > I climbed the steps of that magnificent edifice and reached a large hall.
        > I approached the "Reception Desk " and informed the lady that I had no
        > business to be conducted at the bank , but as a fan of Sherlock Holmes I
        > just wanted to be at *221 .*
        > She was not at all surprised , and in fact offered me a seat .
        > " Some one will see you shortly " , she said.
        > A few minutes later , a young lady approached me and introduced herself.
        > She gave me her visiting card that said ;
        > *ERICA HARPER *
        > *Secretary to Sherlock Holmes *
        > I had mixed feelings of surprise and disbelief ! yes ,disbelief ! ! , is
        > this actually happening ?
        >
        > A most gracious lady , Ms. Harper ,made me feel very welcome and expressed
        > her pleasure to meet "friends of Mr. Holmes " .
        > " We have several , coming in from all over the world "
        > She treated me to a cup of typical "English Tea " , teapot and all, and
        > we proceeded to spend a few minutes in polite conversation .
        > She asked me about myself , where I had come from and for how long I had
        > "known " Mr. Holmes .
        > In parting, she gifted me with a lapel button with a profile of the Master
        > , and a picture post card , a portrait of the Master .
        > She gave me to understand that the portrait was commisioned by the Abbey
        > National , and the original hangs in the office of the Chairman .
        > I left the building , extremely elated and that meeting will live with me
        > forever .
        > Apparently , the Abbey National , as a public service or perhaps even as
        > a public-relations excercise ,
        > ( commendable either which way ), had actually deputed one of their
        > staff , to meet 'fans" like myself .
        > Lastly , and I regret admitting this , I have lost the visiting card of Ms.
        > Erica Harper , the lapel button and , most sadly, the post-card copy of the
        > Original portrait .
        > Now that Abbey House has been sold , one wonders where the "Original "
        > painting is ? The name of the artist who painted it ?
        > Does anyone know . ? Tim ?
        > Kumar Bhatia

      • Tim Symonds
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
          A fine Holmes scholar, Roger Johnson, asked about a picture of Holmes at the old Abbey National building on Baker Street. Attached is the reply from the former Chair of the Abbey National.

          Best to all.

          Tim

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
            In case the attachment didn't get through before.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
              [cid:image003.jpg@...6DAB80]

            • KUMAR BHATIA
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 21, 2013
                Dear fellow Sherlockians .
                Requesting Tim to re-send the letter received by Roger Johnson ,from Lord
                Tugendhat, regarding the whereabouts Original Portrait of Sherlock Holmes
                , comissioned by the Abbey National .
                The attachment did not come thru Tim .
                Thanks in anticipation ,
                kumar Bhatia