SHSI Poster

  • RICHARD GILLMAN
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 29, 2013
      Hello, can I make a couple of suggestions?

      Perhaps Jay could approach Petr saying that there has been a deal of interest from SHSI members regarding obtaining a copy of the poster and to ask him if he would be willing to accept an amount on a 'per poster' basis from members.

      If he is agreable, perhaps Jay could upload the HQ image to a secure, password protected album on an Indian digital photography site that produces posters (here in the UK there a several companies who print digital photographs as well as gifts etc. including posters).
      Interested members could send Jay a payment (cheque, Paypal or whatever) which includes a fee to Petr, the cost of printing and postage and perhaps even a small amount for SHSI? Jay could then order the poster which would then be sent directly from the printer to the member?

      This always assumes Jay has the time and would be willing to do this for members. It is asking a lot!

      Dick
    • ruling_jay
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 29, 2013
        Good suggestions - I wonder - is it possible to put up the picture on a website with a payment link that can go directly to Petr? So you can pay him and download the image and then make posters/canvas prints etc, from a place of your choice.

        The more intermediaries there are, the more expensive it'll be, right?

        I'd be happy to help in any way I can, but I have to confess that I have no head for numbers and absolutely no sense of money (Sumalji will attest to this). To boot, I'm horrible with technology (as Binand can attest!) - so, it will actually save everyone a lot of trouble if somebody competent can take care of the monetary aspects. Otherwise, I'll end up sending panicked mails and need to be guided at every step.

        I'll also mail Petr and ask if he has any suggestions.

        Let's keep brainstorming - these are some great ideas!!

        Is it possible to collaborate with some online stores? Supposing we get about a 100 posters, give them to this website, and everyone orders from there?

        Again, I have to emphasise I have no idea how these things run, or the technicalities.
        Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

        From: RICHARD GILLMAN <dick.g@...>
        Sender: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
        Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 11:22:24 +0000 (GMT)
        To: Sherlock HolmesIndia<SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>
        ReplyTo: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
        Subject: SHSI Poster

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 29, 2013
          I think the 'print-on-demand' option is best, you don't want to order and have printed 100 posters and then only sell a few. Print on demand for a poster is not hugely expensive, a giant 30" x 40" poster is only Rs. 899 and a 20" x 24" is only Rs. 299 plus Rs.50 postage. These prices are from Itasveer  http://www.itasveer.com/products/photo-prints

          I think we need to find out how Petr would like to market the poster, a payment to him per image or a one-off payment to him so that SHSI then owns (or even has the license for) the image and members then pay SHSI to use it. As Jay suggests, contacting Petr would be the first step.

          Dick

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 29, 2013
            Petr (the dear, generous boy!) has given me a carte blanche for the poster; he does not want anything. And yes, he doesn't have tie-ups with any poster-printing people, either.

            Which makes it imperative that we do something for him. Suggestions are most welcome.

            For printing the posters, suggestions are welcome as well. We could probably go with Binand's suggestion of yesterday - I upload the image and share it with anyone who wants it, and they print the size they want and pay for it accordingly.

            I've used vistaprint, printvenue, printland, snapfish, picsquare and zoomin in the past - I recall there being some sort of sharing the soft-copy of your project in snapfish - but I think snapfish has closed down their Indian arm (I vaguely recall some mail of the sort recently). I'm not sure if any other websites have this feature - if anyone knows, please let the rest of us know as well.

            I asked somebody who knows a bit about art prices, and I've been told that something like this can cost anywhere between Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 1,50,000 or more - depending on the name involved, the use of the art and some fifty other factors that experts will use to quantify the final value. And further uses as a brand increases the price.

            So, what do we do? For starters, should we send him a bagful of handwritten fan-mails?

            General Secretary & Editor

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 29, 2013

              On 29 October 2013 22:51, Jay Ganguly <ruling_jay@...> wrote:
              Petr (the dear, generous boy!) has given me a carte blanche for the poster; he does not want anything. And yes, he doesn't have tie-ups with any poster-printing people, either.

              Which makes it imperative that we do something for him. Suggestions are most welcome.

              Let us ask him to share his Amazon wishlist with us. Let us take it up from there.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 31, 2013
                Doesn't have one! Now what?

                Jayantika Ganguly
                General Secretary & Editor
                Sherlock Holmes Society of India

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 31, 2013
                  Finally, some good news - now that BBC Entertainment is gone, I've been worrying about whether "Sherlock" will air in the country at all - looks like AXN India has got it for us! :) :)

                • ruling_jay
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 7, 2013
                    Sorry about the delay on this - Petr doesn't want anything. He says appreciation is enough, and he just wants his name to be acknowledged when the image is used; that's all.

                    So, how do we show our appreciation? Should we all make handwritten notes, bundle them up and send to him? What else?

                    And which printing site should we use? I tried to upload on the snapfish replacement photojaanic, but it refuses to upload the image. Suggestions, please?