Vote of thanks

  • Rajit Roy
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 8, 2013
      I express my heartful thanks for welcoming me to this group. It had always been my dream to become a member of a group or organisation that would share my deep love and admiration for Sherlock Holmes and this is perhaps the best possible start. As I said already that Sherlock Holmes, for me, is a way of life. I have been reading and re-reading the stories since I was in 7th or 8th standard and it won't be an exaggeration to say that I have given a large part of my life to the legend. He is my icon. Moreover, it feels really good to have people with whom you can share your common love.
      Thank you again.
      "The little things are infinitely the most important."
      ~ 'H.E.' Sherlock Holmes
    • ruling_jay
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 8, 2013
        Welcome to SHSI, Rajit!

        To bring you up to date on the major things at the moment:

        (1) Do look up our Facebook page and the blog!

        (2) The next issue of our e-magazine will be out on December 1. If you're interested in submitting any write-ups or artwork, please send it to us at shsieditors@... by 15 November!

        Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

        From: Rajit Roy <roy_rajit@...>
        Sender: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
        Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 17:29:06 +0800 (SGT)
        To: <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>
        ReplyTo: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
        Subject: SHSI Vote of thanks

        I express my heartful thanks for welcoming me to this group. It had always been my dream to become a member of a group or organisation that would share my deep love and admiration for Sherlock Holmes and this is perhaps the best possible start. As I said already that Sherlock Holmes, for me, is a way of life. I have been reading and re-reading the stories since I was in 7th or 8th standard and it won't be an exaggeration to say that I have given a large part of my life to the legend. He is my icon. Moreover, it feels really good to have people with whom you can share your common love.
        Thank you again.
        "The little things are infinitely the most important."
        ~ 'H.E.' Sherlock Holmes

      • Prajakta Hebbar
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 8, 2013
          Welcome aboard!

          --
          Prajakta Hebbar
          Correspondent (Features)

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 9, 2013
              It's up on the blog. Look for the entry dated June 1, 2013 on sherlockholmessociety.in
              Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

              From: Rajit Roy <roy_rajit@...>
              Sender: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
              Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 18:13:13 +0800 (SGT)
              To: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...<SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>
              ReplyTo: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
              Subject: Re: SHSI Vote of thanks

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 11, 2013
                Dear All

                I've been in touch with Jaico Publishers (thanks to Vasudev Murthy, bless him!) - and they will consider publishing a short-story collection by SHSI - on Sherlock Holmes, obviously.

                We need to send them samples. Whoever is interested, please drop me a line - or, better still, please drop in your story! The sooner, the better!

                Please note that this is a much serious affair than our e-magazine. (It will actually be on paper and available in book stores! How cool is that?) So, that quality needs to go up considerably, yes? You'll be a published author!

                Send in your best works. We're all great readers, so cast a reader's eye on your story before you send it. Would you pay to read what you've sent us? If yes, hit the "send" button asap!!

                I'm not sure how many will get published, or which ones, or any at all - the professionals at Jaico will take care of that. But if you send me something, I'll faithfully forward it to them.

                Do remember:
                1. The work has to be original.
                2. Quality is very, very important. Serious stuff, yes?

                Most of you would probably be aware of the Donald Thomas and. Ted Riccardi SH pastiches Jaico has brought in. (There are three more coming, by the way.)

                But we have a lot of fantastic people - we should be able to do this, yes?

                Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

                From: ruling_jay@...
                Sender: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
                Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 10:17:46 +0000
                To: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...<SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 12, 2013
                  No takers??!! Should I tell the publishers no one is interested in writing, then?

                  Please let me know by the end of this week (Sunday, November 17).

                  General Secretary & Editor

                  From: ruling_jay@...
                  Sender: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
                  Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 10:17:46 +0000
                  To: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...<SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 12, 2013
                    Jay Ganguly <ruling_jay@...> writes:

                    > No takers??!! Should I tell the publishers no one is interested in
                    > writing, then?   Please let me know by the end of this week (Sunday,
                    > November 17).

                    Is there a word limit? I've been working on a story as part of the
                    nanowrimo "contest". It's something that's been in my mind for a long
                    time but it's novel sized.

                    [...]

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 12, 2013
                      Thank heavens! No, there's no word limit at all.

                      Jayantika Ganguly
                      General Secretary & Editor
                      Sherlock Holmes Society of India

                      > No takers??!! Should I tell the publishers no one is interested in
                      > writing, then?    Please let me know by the end of this week (Sunday,
                      > November 17).

                      Is there a word limit? I've been working on a story as part of the
                      nanowrimo "contest". It's something that's been in my mind for a long
                      time but it's novel sized.

                      [...]

                      http://nibrahim.net.in/

                    • Prajakta Hebbar
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 12, 2013

                        What's the deadline? I'd like to submit something...

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 12, 2013
                          Jay Ganguly <ruling_jay@...> writes:

                          > Thank heavens! No, there's no word limit at all.

                          Then I'll try to send you my "work" by Sunday morning. I wrote it mostly
                          on paper so it needs to be typed up. :)

                          [...]

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 12, 2013
                            While there aren't any deadlines as such, Jaico has asked for a couple of samples at the earliest, so let's try and use the following:
                            1. Sunday: 17 November 2013 - Let me know if you are willing to participate, and send along a brief sketch of your idea. If the full story is available, even better!
                            2. Saturday: 30 November 2013 - Send in your full manuscript.
                            Remember, the sooner you send your stuff in, the sooner it can be reviewed by the publishers and printed!

                            The initial idea was to release a book on 6 January 2014 - though I am not sure if that is going to be possible anymore from a pragmatic point of view - but in any case, please let me know.

                            General Secretary & Editor

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 12, 2013
                              Awesome!! Thanks a ton!!

                              Jayantika Ganguly
                              General Secretary & Editor
                              Sherlock Holmes Society of India

                              > Thank heavens! No, there's no word limit at all.

                              Then I'll try to send you my "work" by Sunday morning. I wrote it mostly
                              on paper so it needs to be typed up. :)

                              [...]

                            • RICHARD GILLMAN
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 12, 2013
                                Hello Jay,

                                I am quite happy for you to include my story SH and the Zhou Bell within the proposed short story collection. If you need a copy, it is still free for download at Smashwords until the end of the month. Then it will return to being a 'paid for' item.

                                Cheers,

                                Dick Gillman

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 12, 2013
                                    And I have a copy, don't worry; I bought it pretty much as soon as you put it up! :) :)
                                    Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

                                    From: ruling_jay@...
                                    Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 07:31:12 +0000
                                    To: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...<SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>