Name for Holmes's bee farm

  • Tim Symonds
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2013

      Roger tells me there is no name specified in the canon for Holmes's bee farm. The location is about 5 miles from Eastbourne on the (Sussex) South Downs.  I want to provide a name for the farm in my next sherlock (now that this week Steve has published my latest, 'Sherlock Holmes And The Mystery of Einstein's Daughter') so I emailed the South Downs National Park Authority for some place names and other useful info.  The response came today, see below.

      Best to all.

      Tim

      ---------------------------------

      Dear Tim,

      Thank you for contacting South Downs National Park Authority with one of our more unusual requests.

      Having read the content you supplied the descriptions sounds very much like the East Dean area. This is a small downland village about 4 miles from Eastbourne and a short walk from the chalk cliffs and the famous Birling Gap. Most places are given the name Down or Brow if they are on the hill (e.g. Crapham Down or Long Down) and Bottom or Dean if they lie in the valley (e.g. Wigden’s Bottom, Bramble Bottom or East Dean.)

      There is an old Inn at East Dean village now called “The Tiger Inn” which although not large sounds like a good candidate for ‘The Gables’.

      Possible names of old farms in area (which still exist on the map) include: -

      Cornish Farm

      Black Robin Farm

      Birling Farm

      Field House Farm

      Crowlink

      Gayles.

      Possible names of old farms (that do not appear on the map, but sound plausible) include : -

      East Down Farm

      Crapham Barn Farm

      South Hill Farm

      Eldon Bottom Farm

      Duttle’s Bottom Farm

      Went Hill Barn

      Wigden’s Bottom Farm

      Hope that’s of use.

      Kind Regards

      Andy Gattiker MCMA

      South Downs Way Officer

      South Downs National Park Authority

      Tel: (01273) 625242 | Mobile: 07718 146953

      Stanmer Park, Lewes Road, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 9SE

      www.nationaltrail.co.uk/southdowns | facebook | twitter | youtube