Sherlock S3E1

  • Balaji Narasimhan
    Message 1 of 13 , 3 Jan 1:29 am
      Watching Sherlock right now (3 pm). Got an invite! :-)

      Jay: Maybe we should have some link with AXN? That way, many of us can possibly get an invite for such events. :-)

      Balaji
    • ruling_jay
      Message 2 of 13 , 3 Jan 1:43 am
        I know! I did write to them a few days back - no response yet! :(

        Please feel free to pass on my co-ordinates to them! Or if you could get theirs (I wrote to the generic contact details available on their site) - it'd be great!

        Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

        From: Balaji Narasimhan <sherlockbalaji@...>
        Sender: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
        Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 01:29:47 -0800 (PST)
        To: <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>
        ReplyTo: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
        Subject: SHSI Sherlock S3E1

        Watching Sherlock right now (3 pm). Got an invite! :-)

        Jay: Maybe we should have some link with AXN? That way, many of us can possibly get an invite for such events. :-)

        Balaji

      • Prajakta Hebbar
        Message 3 of 13 , 3 Jan 1:44 am

          Try the PR person's number. She's helpful.

          From: Balaji Narasimhan <sherlockbalaji@...>
          Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 01:29:47 -0800 (PST)

          Watching Sherlock right now (3 pm). Got an invite! :-)

          Jay: Maybe we should have some link with AXN? That way, many of us can possibly get an invite for such events. :-)

          Balaji

        • shsieditors
          Message 4 of 13 , 3 Jan 1:57 am
            Thanks - could you mail the number to me separately? Email: ruling_jay@...
            Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

            From: Prajakta Hebbar <prajakta.hebbar@...>
            Sender: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
            Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 15:14:53 +0530
            To: <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>
            ReplyTo: SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
            Subject: Re: SHSI Sherlock S3E1

            From: Balaji Narasimhan <sherlockbalaji@...>
            Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 01:29:47 -0800 (PST)

            Message 5 of 13 , 3 Jan 9:46 pm
              So...did everyone end up seeing it last night? Thoughts?

              Just in case you're not already aware - this amazing lady has compiled transcripts of all episodes - http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/36505.html

              Jayantika Ganguly
              General Secretary & Editor
              Sherlock Holmes Society of India
              http://www.sherlockholmessociety.in/

              To: "SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@..." <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>
              Date: Friday, January 3, 2014, 3:27 PM

              Thanks - could you mail the number to me separately? Email:
              ruling_jay@...
              Sent on my BlackBerry® from
              VodafoneFrom: Prajakta Hebbar
              <prajakta.hebbar@...>
              Sender:
              SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
              Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 15:14:53
              +0530To:
              <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>ReplyTo:
              SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...
              Subject: Re: SHSI Sherlock
              S3E1

              Try the PR person's number.
              She's helpful.
              On 3 Jan 2014 15:13,
              <ruling_jay@...>
              wrote:

              I know! I did write to them a few days back - no response
              yet! :(

              Please feel free to pass on my co-ordinates to them! Or if
              you could get theirs (I wrote to the generic contact details
              available on their site) - it'd be great!

              Sent on my BlackBerry® from
              VodafoneFrom: Balaji Narasimhan
              <sherlockbalaji@...>

              Message 6 of 13 , 3 Jan 9:54 pm
                On Sat, Jan 04 2014, Jay Ganguly wrote:

                > So...did everyone end up seeing it last night? Thoughts?
                >
                > Just in case you're not already aware - this amazing lady has compiled
                > transcripts of all episodes -
                > http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/36505.html

                I've been one of the marginal people who prefer Elementary to
                Sherlock. I also thought that Season 2 damaged the BBC series quite a
                bit. However, this one really made up for that. I quite enjoyed it.

                [...]

              • RICHARD GILLMAN
                Message 7 of 13 , 3 Jan 10:41 pm
                  Well, we waited and predicted and suggested and put forth possible solutions. I have to say that I was a little disappointed whereas other folk, critics etc seemed to have lapped it up. Emperors new clothes? I think there is a little of that.

                  Holmes is not a cruel man, he will tease Watson but not play with his emotions...just not right. Disjointed? Fragmentary and ill explained but frighteningly for me, it contained elements of my new book that I finished on Monday BEFORE Sherlock was aired! Spooky!! Very spooky!

                  I will continue to watch the series, it is entertaining and quirky but....Jeremy is my man. You have to be able to see through the hype to see what is going on in the storyline which I felt was...not a lot. I enjoyed the analysis of the hat with Mycroft and the tension between Sherlock and Molly but it was full of tinsel. Just my take on it and I will no doubt be branded a heretic! I felt the final seen with the new villain sitting watching the tv screens only needed the white Persian cat being stroked on his lap and we were into 007 country. This new villain is (so I have read) a renamed Mr Millverton. I would like to hear other folks thoughts

                  On a personal note, Sherlock Holmes and The Shadow of James Moriaty will, I hope, be published early next week. : )

                  Dick

                  From: Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal@...>;

                  Message 8 of 13 , 3 Jan 10:45 pm
                    On 4 January 2014 11:16, Jay Ganguly <ruling_jay@...> wrote:
                    > So...did everyone end up seeing it last night? Thoughts?

                    I did. The ultimate question is still unanswered :-( There's the
                    Anderson theory, an Empty Hearser theory, a Holmes-Watson v1 theory
                    and so on - none really appealed to me though.

                    Binand
                  • RICHARD GILLMAN

                      From: Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal@...>;

                      Message 10 of 13 , 3 Jan 11:59 pm
                        [Spoiler alert - DO NOT READ if you haven't seen "The Empty Hearse" - and for those who haven't seen it yet (or want to see it again) - AXN India, Sunday (5 January) 12 PM - repeat telecast - of course, elsewhere in the world people will be watching "The Sign of Three"...]

                        Oh, well - I loved it, too! I thought it was very, very clever that they gave out the possibilities of multiple explanations (13 ways, as Sherlock says) - and ended with a "You know my methods." - for everyone to work out their own solutions - after all, nothing is quite as good as the one in your head, eh? "Everyone's a critic." Anderson pretty much personifies the Sherlock fandom these days...I felt it was a nice touch - the recognition given to a manic but doggedly loyal fandom.

                        Loved the altercations between Sherlock and Mycroft - did you note that Sherlock's parents are actually Benedict Cumberbatch's parents? I am quite taken with the idea that Mycroft and Sherlock have perfectly normal, ordinary, adorable parents - I suppose it was a risk (given the popularity of the Holmes brothers' dark past theories) - and I think it worked out quite well. Genius doesn't necessarily mandate a shadowy origin.

                        I don't think Sherlock is cruel - I just think he doesn't always understand the emotional aspect of things ("bit not good"). That and his "flair for the dramatic" - it got a bit too much for John. The way I see it - they could have done a supremely emotional drama scene (hysterics and all, which would have ended with John punching him anyway) or they could have done it with a bit of humour - which they did, not letting go of the dramatics, either - and it came off brilliantly. Sherlock has missed John ("What life? I've been away.") - and when the reunion doesn't go as planned (he probably thought that John would be shocked, amazed, say "fantastic" and they'll get on like before - maybe a bit of swearing/punching would be involved - after all, John did forgive every other outrageous thing he'd done in the past) - he misses him all the more (keeps hearing his comments - remember the skeleton mystery investigation scene?) - and then John gets into trouble, and Sherlock immediately rushes to the rescue. Did you note that Mary hung back while Sherlock unflinchingly jumped into the bonfire to drag John out?

                        The tube-bomb-scene deception - Sherlock is human, after all - he just wanted to know whether John still cares. We do try and get a rise out of people we love at times, don't we? Sometimes we need to hear the "I care" so desperately that we'd resort to dramatics and force out a "Yes, damn you, you lunatic, I care!" instead. Sherlock's been away for two years (which haven't been easy on him - and not just because of the Serbians), London has become unfamiliar ("I need to get to know London again; breathe it in, every quiver of its beating heart."), his own self has become unfamiliar - he hasn't been Sherlock Holmes for two years now. So once he is back in London, he wants his coat, his home and his "one fixed point in a changing age" - his doctor. And when John doesn't come back, he feels lost, vulnerable - he's not had "friends" before; doesn't really know what to do with them - his brother's useless in this regard ("How would you know?"); Molly is lovely, but not quite John; Mrs Hudson keeps saying "Talk to John" - Lestrade keeps asking where John is - everyone has become used to "Sherlock and John", including Sherlock, and it isn't quite right to have one without the other. As John says in his blog - #sherlocklives means #johnwatsonlives. (Aww...)

                        And Sherlock Holmes has always been melodramatic - even in the canon! It is part of why we love him, isn't it?

                        Oh yes, the old bookseller play on The Empty House - that was hilarious!

                        On the side - the Chinese fandom calls them "Curly Fu" and "Peanut"!

                        Before I get any more Anderson-ish, I'll sign off! :)

                        Cheers and best wishes for the Year of Sherlock,

                        General Secretary & Editor

                        From: Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal@...>;
                        > So...did everyone end up seeing it last night? Thoughts?
                        >
                        > Just in case you're not already aware - this amazing lady has compiled
                        > transcripts of all episodes -
                        > http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/36505.html

                        I've been one of the marginal people who prefer Elementary to
                        Sherlock. I also thought that Season 2 damaged the BBC series quite a
                        bit. However, this one really made up for that. I quite enjoyed it.

                        [...]

                      • KUMAR BHATIA
                        Message 11 of 13 , 4 Jan 6:29 am
                          Dear Mr. Gillman,
                          Well said on ' Sherlock S3-E1 !

                          KUMAR BHATIA
                          p.s. I thoroughly enjoy your books and look forward to reading " SH and the Shadow of Moriarty "

                          From: Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal@...>;

                          Message 12 of 13 , 4 Jan 8:35 am
                            Jay,

                            ///
                            I know! I did write to them a
                            few days back - no response
                            yet! :(
                            ///

                            I wrote to the PR lady and she helped me.

                            Told her about our group. She said in future she will mail me details of screenings across India, which I can share with the group.

                            Balaji
                          • ruling_jay
                            Message 13 of 13 , 4 Jan 9:40 am
                              Oh, excellent! Thanks a ton!! :) :)