SH3E3

  • Saurabh Kumar Singh
    Message 1 of 18 , 10 Jan 11:29 am
      Who else is going to  watch the third episode live when its actually been broadcasted in UK ? It will be available on free streaming sites and for download as well within 30 minutes with subtitles. Cant wait....!!!
      Message 2 of 18 , 10 Jan 11:34 am
        I'm in London on Sunday, and dying (almost quite literally) to see it!

        Hope everyone's seen The Sign of Three by now (if not, I'm sure AXN will be repeating it over the weekend). Thoughts?

        General Secretary & Editor
        Sherlock Holmes Society of India

        On Friday, January 10, 2014 7:29 PM, Saurabh Kumar Singh <saurabhkumarsinghthegreat@...> wrote:

        Who else is going to  watch the third episode live when its actually been broadcasted in UK ? It will be available on free streaming sites and for download as well within 30 minutes with subtitles. Cant wait....!!!

      • Noufal Ibrahim KV
        Message 3 of 18 , 13 Jan 7:57 am
          On Sat, Jan 11 2014, Jay Ganguly wrote:

          > I'm in London on Sunday, and dying (almost quite literally) to see it!
          >
          > Hope everyone's seen The Sign of Three by now (if not, I'm sure AXN
          > will be repeating it over the weekend). Thoughts?

          [...]

          Just saw episode 3. Marginally better than 2 but I think
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark echoes my thoughts on the
          series.

          Message 4 of 18 , 13 Jan 9:20 am
            Oh, I wouldn't really agree...I'd sum up my thoughts with a dialogue from the episode itself (not really a spoiler): "...my pulse is very erratic, you may need to restart my heart on the way..."

            Loved every minute.

            Jayantika Ganguly

            Message 5 of 18 , 13 Jan 9:41 am
              On Mon, Jan 13 2014, Jay Ganguly wrote:

              > Oh, I wouldn't really agree...I'd sum up my thoughts with a dialogue
              > from the episode itself (not really a spoiler): "...my pulse is very
              > erratic, you may need to restart my heart on the way..."
              >
              > Loved every minute.

              We'll have to agree to disagree then. :)

              [...]

              Message 6 of 18 , 13 Jan 9:44 am
                Guess so!

                On Monday, January 13, 2014 5:41 PM, Noufal Ibrahim KV <noufal@...> wrote:

                On Mon, Jan 13 2014, Jay Ganguly wrote:

                > Oh, I wouldn't really agree...I'd sum up my thoughts with a dialogue
                > from the episode itself (not really a spoiler): "...my pulse is very
                > erratic, you may need to restart my heart on the way..."
                >
                > Loved every minute.

                We'll have to agree to disagree then. :)

                [...]

              • Rajit Roy
                Message 7 of 18 , 13 Jan 10:16 am
                  Why can't we make this group to discuss more of original literature than these momentous contemporary adaptations? Wouldn't that be a true homage to Sherlock Holmes and its creator and the whole universe of the genius we all love to talk about ? Please reply.
                • KUMAR BHATIA
                  Message 8 of 18 , 13 Jan 10:25 am
                    Well said Rajit !
                    I second you whole heartedly .
                    KUMAR BHATIA

                    Message 9 of 18 , 13 Jan 10:44 am
                      I'd like to think we are a broad-minded group and love Sherlock Holmes in his various avatars as well! If we just stuck to the canon, we'd run out of things to talk about very soon, won't we? Sherlock Holmes has been paid homage to by various people in various forms, and has taken on various avatars over the years - and I do count pastiches in this as well, not just cinematographic adaptations. We may choose to like some of the avatars and dislike the rest - but I don't think that should preclude us from discussing these avatars. We would end up turning our backs to an entire world of Sherlockian/Holmesian literature otherwise.

                      It is, after all, the fandom that keeps Sherlock Holmes alive. Besides, my long-term belief that Sherlockians/Holmesians are the best kind of people has just been solidly reaffirmed in the past few days.

                      Besides, Sherlock Holmes was a great pioneer of making full use of modernity! Gramophones, wax busts et al.

                      Also, BBC Sherlock is the top factor for the current popularity of Sherlock Holmes! I personally think this adaptation is brilliant and runs quite true to the original (and very clever in the ample canonical references/acknowledgements) - it would, I guess, given Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat are dedicated Sherlockians themselves. Additionally, they pay homage to great Sherlockians/Holmesians as well.

                      Learnt a bit of history recently, and confirmed straight from the top horses' mouth this Saturday at the SHSL Annual Dinner - the idea for BBC Sherlock pre-dates Robert Downey Jr/Guy Ritchie. In 2006, Mark Gatiss (an SHSL member) brought along Steven Moffat to the Annual Dinner, and the concept of a modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes was presented to the members. It was received well, and they went on to produce the pilot and later re-made it into what we know as "A Study in Pink". In 2012, they made another keynote address. I'll scan the full list and circulate once I'm back home; it is amazing how they've had Agatha Christie, PD James and various luminaries of the detective world there.

                      But we should wait to discuss "His Last Vow" further until Friday when everyone gets to see it!

                      Signing off before I get any crazier,

                      On Monday, January 13, 2014 6:19 PM, Rajit Roy <roy_rajit@...> wrote:

                      Why can't we make this group to discuss more of original literature than these momentous contemporary adaptations? Wouldn't that be a true homage to Sherlock Holmes and its creator and the whole universe of the genius we all love to talk about ? Please reply.

                    • pinaki roy
                      Message 10 of 18 , 13 Jan 7:08 pm
                        I totally agree with you, Mr. Rajit Roy. We might be moving away from the fine points of the original canon. Doyle would not be reborn....

                        Think of what would happen to Rabindranath or Dickens in such a scenario!

                        (Pinaki Roy)

                        Reply to sender

                        Reply to group

                        via web post |
                        Start a new topic

                        Messages
                        in this topic
                        (7)

                        Recent
                        Activity:

                        New Members
                        4

                        Visit Your Group

                        .
                      • Noufal Ibrahim KV
                        Message 11 of 18 , 13 Jan 7:23 pm
                          On Mon, Jan 13 2014, Rajit Roy wrote:

                          > Why can't we make this group to discuss more of original literature
                          > than these momentous contemporary adaptations? Wouldn't that be a true
                          > homage to Sherlock Holmes and its creator and the whole universe of
                          > the genius we all love to talk about ? Please reply.

                          Oh definitely not. I like it when creative people take produce their
                          interpretations of the detective which draw from the source material.

                          That's not to say that we can't discuss the canon but I don't think we
                          gain anything by restricting ourselves to it.

                        • Rajit Roy
                          Message 12 of 18 , 13 Jan 8:42 pm
                            I believe that the canon is worth an encyclopedia of logic and rational thinking. We would never run out of it. Nevertheless, we are free to visualise Holmes the way we like to. There must not be any conflict of ideas within the group.
                            Long live Sherlock Holmes!
                            Message 13 of 18 , 13 Jan 10:54 pm

                              Dear Holmesians,

                              Whilst I agree that the Canon should be the Bible for a dedicated Holmesian, I do not see anything grossly  wrong in these adaptations since they are able to reach out to a newer generation. As things stand, reading habit and attention spans have declined in each successive generation.If anything,the new adaptations can draw a few youngsters to the world of 221B.

                              Regards

                              Sumal S

                            • RICHARD GILLMAN
                              Message 14 of 18 , 14 Jan 12:10 am
                                Good morning Sherlockians from a wet and windy Brittany! I have to say that I agree with Noufal and Sumal. Whilst the original Canon is our touchstone, developments from this should not be neglected as they give us another view of Holmes. We are always learning, I am probably the one learning most of all from this group as I wonder at the incredible knowledge of the members and their insights.

                                To ignore new works and new interpretations prevents us from expanding our own viewpoint, our own thinking. To be able to discuss, compare and contrast can only be a benefit and further our appreciation and knowledge of the genius that was ACD and his wonderful creation. To study the Canon will always produce discussion which I applaud and value but please do not be blinkered. We all treasure the legacy of ACD but there is room, to use a modern phrase, to push the envelope and explore the boundaries of his thinking in new ways.

                                Kind regards,

                                Dick

                                Message 15 of 18 , 14 Jan 2:29 am

                                  It's true. Though I had read a few short stories and heard my father talk about them, it is this BBC series that really motivated me to read the Canon completely. each episode is peppered with many canonical references in the form of dialogues/props/plots, making it interesting for purists and everyone alike I thought. If something is good enough to turn even lazy readers (like me) into hardcore Holmesians, then why not discuss it! :)

                                • Rajit Roy
                                  Message 16 of 18 , 14 Jan 9:23 am
                                    I remember asking a girl if she knew who Sherlock Holmes was. " Yeah, that sexy geek guy who kisses a crazy girl and finds himself naked in bed." , she replied.
                                    Cheers!
                                    Message 17 of 18 , 14 Jan 10:59 am
                                      Erm...may be she got it a bit mixed up with some other role played by Benedict Cumberbatch? "Sexy geek" - agreed. But when on earth did the rest happen?? Not to my knowledge.

                                      But really, just because Benedict Cumberbatch is an international phenomenon right now - it doesn't take away the fact that he is the perfect modern Sherlock and plays the role beautifully. I'd even say that he is the best Sherlock of all time - but that's my personal opinion; I'm aware many others considered Jeremy Brett or Basil Rathbone the best.

                                      What was interesting, though, that several "biggies" of the Sherlockian/Holmesian world I recently met - also consider Benedict Cumberbatch to be the best Sherlock Holmes manifestation. I was quite pleasantly surprised.

                                      So yes, Benedict Cumberbatch gathers fangirls all over the world and may be some part of his fangirling crowd have no clue about Sherlock Holmes - but there is a rather large intersection of true Sherlockians who adore Benedict Cumberbatch and his Sherlock - and these are not always young women, but people of all ages.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , 14 Jan 11:53 am
                                        I think the young lady was confused and was referring to another portrayal of Holmes by Robert Downey Jr. as shown below. Oh, come on, we have all been there, you wake up naked and the keys to the handcuffs are a tad out of reach! *:&quot;> blushing ....I am teasing, honestly!

                                        We have to accept that the portrayal of Sherlock Holmes appeals to a very broad spectrum of people and at different levels. There is a vast spectrum of folk interested in Holmes ranging from eminent scholars to young girls who admire him for much baser reasons. We don't have to agree with everyone's opinion or perception, what a dull place the world would be if we did. I am 64 years old, I enjoy all things Holmesian, both the Canon and the new generation of high tech sleuthing. Let us celebrate  the diversity and appreciate him in our own way. Enjoy!

                                        Dick