Sherlock comes to Bollywood this April

  • ruling_jay
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 20, 2014
      ‎Here's the link, thanks to Peter Blau: http://www.india.com/showbiz/rajeev-khandelwals-samrat-co-looks-rip-off-of-sherlock-25326/

      Thoughts? I'm trying very hard to hold onto my dinner at the moment.

      Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
    • Philip K. Jones
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 20, 2014

        Hooray for Bollywood!

        Russia and China are ahead of India in this race.

        Phil

        Thoughts? I'm trying very hard to hold onto my dinner at the moment.

        Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

      • Prajakta Hebbar
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 20, 2014

          It looks like a typical Rajshree production. A little too theatrical perhaps? Also, "CD" is seriously a letdown.

          Prajakta Hebbar

          On 20 Mar 2014 21:50, "Philip K. Jones" <pkenj@...> wrote:

          Hooray for Bollywood!

          Russia and China are ahead of India in this race.

          Phil

          Thoughts? I'm trying very hard to hold onto my dinner at the moment.

          Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

        • SHSI Editors Jay

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 20, 2014
              Other  bollywood notable mystery inspires inspires

              Bees saal baad - hounds of baskervilles
              ( the hound replaced by a cat)
              Dhund - unexpected guest by Christie
              Gum naam - then there were none by Christie
              Kohra - Rebecca - daphne du Maurier

              TV serial Karamchand did a a couple of rip offs including Doyle's "Three  students"

              Would be curious to know if anyone knows more

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 20, 2014
                Ridiculous. But then, that has been Bollywood's defining feature for several years now.

                I am also angry with the write-up, which equates Bollywood to Indian cinema.

                Binand

                On 20 March 2014 21:32, <ruling_jay@...> wrote:

                Thoughts? I'm trying very hard to hold onto my dinner at the moment.

                Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

              • sridhar C
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 20, 2014
                  Hi fellow Holmesians,

                  I had actually liked Rajeev in 'Aamir', which released a few years ago. His portrayal of an ordinary man stuck in a dangerous situation was pretty good.

                  But going by the trailer, it seems like they've tried to compress Holmes from all the adventure stories and novellas into this 2-2-1/2 hour movie. It's probably meant for those who liked RDJ's two attempts at portraying the Master Detective.

                  But, I'd suggest we wait and see before we decide. It might turn out to be a decent movie after all :D

                  C. Sridhar

                  All that is gold does not glitter,
                  Not all those who wander are lost;
                  The old that is strong does not wither,

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 20, 2014
                    Well said! Hope springs eternal!

                    As Sumalji also said - Mr Khandelwal is a good actor. No arguments there.

                    But does that make him a good Sherlock? I thought his diction was horrible and put upon for a character that is supposed to be a version of Sherlock Holmes - and I'm not even a language nazi.‎ And honestly, I can't see how he is a look-alike of Mr Cumberbatch.

                    At least it gives us something to look forward to. Who will volunteer to do a write-up for this for the next e-magazine?

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 20, 2014
                      Good idea to make a list!! There was one called "Gumshuda" or something similar based on "The Sign of Four" a few years back. I haven't seen it, but I've been looking for it since Peter Blau told me about it. If anyone has seen it or can find a viewable version - I'd be very grateful!

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 21, 2014
                        Jay,

                        ///
                        Thoughts? I'm trying very hard to hold onto my dinner at the moment.
                        ///

                        One hopes that it follows some of The Great Detective's methods!

                        Indian cinema has matured beyond masala--but they can't get beyond the song and dance routine.

                        Case in point--I was watching a Kannada movie on a historic character some time ago. This character in real life never had a love interest, just like Holmes. But the movie showed him prancing around with a PYT. Noticing this, a friend said that Indian directors will get Hanuman married just to feature a romantic song!

                        Balaji

                        PS: Note to our non-Indian members--Hanuman is a bachelor God from the Ramayana.
                      • SHSI Editors Jay
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 21, 2014
                          Ah, well, that was the gut reaction.

                          The trailer has an apparently major character PYT (with a staggering amount of screen time in the trailer), and "Samrat" carrying her bridal style. There's ‎an item song. There is CD, presumably the assistant/sidekick, who has no dialogue in the trailer except "koi case utha kyun nahi lete" or something like that. (translation: why don't you pick up a case)

                          ‎Then there's the mind palace rip-off graphics, which should be cool, at least.

                          Mr Khandelwal is certainly good-looking, but I still can't see how he's a look-alike of Mr Cumberbatch - or why he even should be, for that matter. And he doesn't sound right. All the good Sherlocks sound right. All the good detectives sound right.

                          In hindsight, given I consistently watch every single Himesh Reshamiya movie that comes out, what's the worst they could do with Sherlock?

                          "CD, smart criminal wo nahi hota jo koi surag na chodde - smart criminal wo hota hai jo surag to chodde, magar gumraah karne ke liye." (translation: CD, a smart criminal isn't one that doesn't leave clues - a smart criminal is the one that leaves clues, but for misdirection)

                          Which reminds me - The Sign of Four adaptation I was nattering about in the morning - might have been called Gumraah rather than Gumshuda. Or something like that. Anyone knows?

                          If there are errors in the quotes, I'm sorry; I've only seen it once. Must see again!

                          P.S. Interesting(?) and useless bit of trivia - in Thai mythology, Hanuman is rather Casanova-ish.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 21, 2014

                            I was under the impression that Hanuman was the Monkey God of the Ramayana and no one EVER accused monkeys of not being romantically inclined.

                            That is one advantage of Vedic theology that I see.  Much like Greco-Roman mythology, it has a god/goddess or two for every vice and virtue and an avatar or two for each of them that cancels out every other one.  I suspect that there was some cross-fertilization back in the fourth Millenium BCE.

                            Sincerely:

                            Phil

                            Philip K. Jones
                            pkenj@...
                            An Ill-dressed Vagabond

                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 21, 2014

                              I would love to delve into Indian Sherlockian movies, but I am already having more than enough trouble keeping (gaining?) track of the English and American movies in the genre.  When I try to add in the French and German efforts, the world becomes full of Sherlockian movie themes.  Eille Norwood starred in forty five silent 2-reeler short features fopr Stoll Picture Productions in 1921 -1923 as well as two or three additional full length features based on the short novels by Doyle.  Most of those have since been lost, except for fragments, but they constitute the most complete film record of Holmes that there ever was.

                              I know that there were Danish and Swedish portrayals in the same time period and the 'bloom' in Russian, German and Chinese Sherlockian literature in the 20s and 30s was accompanied by related film efforts, all of which are mysteries to me. I have only recently begun extending my cataloguing efforts beyond English literature and the film industries in other languages are very difficult for me to obtain good, solid information about.

                              If anyone has firm information on older, non-English films, I would certainly like to add it to the database.  Of course, that also goes for written items.  I have very little information about non-English Sherlockian fiction, ao ant help would be gratefully appreciated.

                              Sincerely:

                              Phil

                              Philip K. Jones
                              pkenj@...
                              An Ill-dressed Vagabond

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 24, 2014
                                Good news:
                                http://www.mumbaimirror.com/entertainment/bollywood/Samrat-is-not-Sherlock/articleshow/32588960.cms

                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 26, 2014
                                  These would be good for starters Phil,
                                  Hans Albers- The Man Who Was Sherlock Holmes(Der Mann, der Sherlock Holmes war) 1937
                                  Hugo Flink-  Der Erdstrommotor,Der Schlangenring,Die Kassette
                                  Alwin NeußSherlock Holmes (1908), Detektiv Braun (1914), Der Hund von Baskerville (1914)
                                  Regards,
                                     Samarjit Singh

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 26, 2014

                                            'Samrat and Co' review: Rajeev Khandelwal as Indian Sherlock Holmes fails to solve this mystery - what is the point of the film?

                                            http://ibnlive.in.com/news/samrat-and-co-review-rajeev-khandelwal-as-indian-sherlock-holmes-fails-to-solve-this-mystery--what-is-the-point-of-the-film/467705-8-66.html

                                            Awesome!! Thanks a ton!! :) :)

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 27, 2014
                                                You nailed it. What is the point of this movie, I wonder! Samrat is a
                                                mix of Robert Downey Jr. and Benedict Cumberbatch - they even botched
                                                up what is usually a straightforward copying job that Bollywood can do
                                                with its eyes closed. :-) And the romance angle - ugh! Plot holes
                                                galore, too. I cracked the cipher within 2 seconds - one that
                                                apparently had leading experts (who probably didn't read "The
                                                Adventure of the Dancing Men" as a primer on how to solve a
                                                substitution cipher) baffled.

                                                Binand