April

  • KUMAR BHATIA
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2014
      Dear Friends and fellow Sherlockians ,
      April is here . A rather busy month it was as Watson tells us !

      " It was early April in the year '83, that I woke one morning to find Sherlock Holmes standing ,
      Fully dressed , by the side of my bed....... "
      Dr. Watson - " The Speckled Band

      " On refering to my notes,I see that it was on the 14th of April, that I received a telegram from Lyons ,
      Which informed me that Holmes was lying ill ,in the Hotel Dulong ......... "
      Dr. Watson - " The Reigate Squires "

      " It was with some surprise, that I saw Him , walk into my consulting room ,
      upon the evening of the 24th of April .It stuck me that he was looking even paler
      And thinner than usual....... "
      Dr. Watson - " The Final Problem "

      " ......And now at the close of April, I find myself in such a position through your continual
      persecution that I am in positive danger of losing my liberty ....."
      Prof. Moriarty - " The Final Problem "

      "......Such was the remarkable narrative to which I listened on that April evening ,
      a narrative which would have been utterly incredible to me , had it not been confirmed
      by the actual sight of the tall spare figure and the keen eager face which I had never
      thought to see again ."
      Dr. Watson - " The Empty House "

      Watson makes mention of a few other occurences in the month of April ,
      which I leave to our fellow members to post .

      However , I cannot but resist sharing  with my fellow Sherlockians,
      the most ominious of them all . I quote from ;
      " The man who was Sherlock Holmes - The life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle "
      by John Dickson Carr .

      But he ( Doyle ) had another task before that . At Norwood on April 6th ,1893
      sitting by the fire with a cold in his head , idly reading Pride and Prejudice,
      while legions of painters bumped the outside of the house - he put aside the book
      and wrote a letter to the Ma'am .
      " All is well down here , I am in the middle of the last Holmes story , after which
      The gentleman vanishes , never to return ! I am weary of his name "

      KUMAR BHATIA