Father Brown and Sherlock Holmes

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 22, 2014

      Dear Holmesians,

      Father Brown created by GK Chesterton is a detective who has become popular over the years. There are some similarities between Sherlock Holmes and Father Brown. Both are bachelors and devoted to solving crimes. However, there are differences in their approach too. For starters, Sherlock Holmes was an intensely rational man but Father Brown  was spiritual in his approach. Father Brown did not have a faithful companion like Dr Watson.

      What are the other points of divergence between the two?

    • sridhar C
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 2014
        The good Father was humble for starters :D

        C. Sridhar

        All that is gold does not glitter,
        Not all those who wander are lost;
        The old that is strong does not wither,

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 22, 2014

          On 22 September 2014 18:22, sridhar C cs_gollum@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia] <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...> wrote:
          The good Father was humble for starters :D

          Plus his Watson, Flambeau, is a reformed criminal. :-)

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 24, 2014
            Dear Holmesians,
            I find that GK Chesterton had  much of his spiritual convictions mouthed through Father Brown whereas Sherlock Holmes had a personality completely distinct from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.Personally, I found that  Father Brown stories were not as gripping as compared to Sherlock Holmes.
             The fan following for Father Brown is considerably less than Sherlock Holmes.
          • Noufal Ibrahim KV
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 24, 2014
              On Wed, Sep 24 2014, sumalsn wrote:

              > Dear Holmesians, I find that GK Chesterton had much of his spiritual
              > convictions mouthed through Father Brown whereas Sherlock Holmes had a
              > personality completely distinct from Sir Arthur Conan
              > Doyle.Personally, I found that Father Brown stories were not as
              > gripping as compared to Sherlock Holmes. The fan following for Father
              > Brown is considerably less than Sherlock Holmes.

              I like Chesterton in general but the Father Brown series really
              disappointed me. I bought the complete stories but gave up after reading
              a few.
              [...]

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 24, 2014
                Dear Holmesians,
                I rather got an interesting quote, albeit a lengthy one regarding comparing Father Brown and Sherlock Holmes. It is from Antonio Gramsci, a renowned Marxist theorist.

                 In his Letters from Prison, he made this partisan declaration of his preference: "Father Brown is a Catholic who pokes fun at the mechanical thought processes of the Protestants and the book is basically an apologia of the Roman Church as against the Anglican Church. Sherlock Holmes is the 'Protestant' detective who finds the end of the criminal skein by starting from the outside, relying on science, on experimental method, on induction. Father Brown is the Catholic priest who through the refined psychological experiences offered by confession and by the persistent activity of the fathers' moral casuistry, though not neglecting science and experimentation, but relying especially on deduction and introspection, totally defeats Sherlock Holmes, makes him look like a pretentious little boy, shows up his narrowness and pettiness. Moreover, Chesterton is a great artist while Conan Doyle was a mediocre writer, even though he was knighted for literary merit; thus in Chesterton there is a stylistic gap between the content, the detective story plot, and the form, and therefore a subtle irony with regard to the subject being dealt with, which renders these stories so delicious". Info Courtesy: Wikipedia

                Trust a Marxist to make even the simplest of ideas so obtuse and complex. I don't understand  on what basis he concluded that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a mediocre writer.