Slightly involved quiz...

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 10, 2014
      Found in a quizzing group that I follow. Paraphrasing the question a bit to make it more interesting.

      What is the connection one of the Nobel Peace Prize winners of 2014, announced yesterday, has to the Sherlock Holmes canon?

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 10, 2014
        Btw, if you know the answer (or think you know) please email me directly; I will consolidate. This is so that others here can also work it out.

        Binand

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 24, 2014
            Dear Binand and Holmesians,

            I think Malala Yousafzai was named after Malalai of Maiwand, also known as Malala ,a national folk hero of Afghanistan who rallied local Pashtun fighters against the British troops at the 1880 Battle of Maiwand. Dr Watson fought for the British. I think that must be the connection. The hint ( Wikipedia) was particularly helpful.

          • RICHARD GILLMAN
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 24, 2014
              Hmmm, just wondering if saying "Dr Watson fought for the British" might not be completely accurate. Are doctors classed as 'non-combatants'? Maybe not as he is is rather handy with his trusty service revolver! *;) winking This is me just pulling your leg, Sumalsn.

              Kind regards,

              Dick

              I think Malala Yousafzai was named after Malalai of Maiwand, also known as Malala ,a national folk hero of Afghanistan who rallied local Pashtun fighters against the British troops at the 1880 Battle of Maiwand. Dr Watson fought for the British. I think that must be the connection. The hint ( Wikipedia) was particularly helpful.

            • Tim Symonds
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 24, 2014

                I know from working on my latest Sherlock Holmes novel that in the case of the Royal Navy, the Lieutenant surgeons aboard ships in the Victorian/Edwardian era were allowed to carry arms if the occasion called for it, i.e. to defend themselves. Perhaps it was the same in the Army - though if Watson had been in the RN he would not have been permitted a moustache without special dispensation.

                Tim

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 25, 2014
                  Dear Richard and Holmesians,
                  Doctors in RAMC were classified as Combatants and there have been 27 Victoria Crosses and two bars awarded to army medical personnel over the years. Similarly, the members of  Army Medical corps( India) have been awarded for gallantry in war , most recently even in 2010.
                  Sumalsn

                • RICHARD GILLMAN
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 26, 2014
                    Hi, thanks for that Sumalsn, that is something I certainly didn't know.

                    Just for info. the BBC are showing the first series of Sherlock again on Saturday nights in the UK. The first episode was shown last night 'A Study in Pink. If you can't see it live on the BBC where you are, see if you can download a free Android app called 'Live Now!TV' from Google Play. With that you can see loads of TV programs via the internet including the BBC. It has this logo on the Google Play site ...

                    Dick

                    ________________________________
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 26, 2014

                      On 11 October 2014 11:11, Binand Sethumadhavan <binand@...> wrote:
                      What is the connection one of the Nobel Peace Prize winners of 2014, announced yesterday, has to the Sherlock Holmes canon?

                      Most people who attempted this question did manage to work it out. Congratulations, everyone!

                      Ziauddin Yusafzai (Malala's father) said, “I named her Malala after being inspired from Malala of Maiwand, a brave lady who urged her countrymen to fight against intruders through her poetry,”

                      This is what Wikipedia has to say about Malala of Maiwand:

                      Malalai of Maiwand, also known as Malala is a national folk hero of Afghanistan who rallied local Pashtun fighters against the British troops at the 1880 Battle of Maiwand. She fought alongside Ayub Khan and was responsible for the Afghan victory at the Battle of Maiwand on 27 July 1880, during the Second Anglo-Afghan War.

                      The canon connection? In A Study in Scarlet, Watson says:

                      "...I served at the fatal battle of Maiwand. There I was struck on the shoulder by a Jezail bullet, which shattered the bone and grazed the subclavian artery."

                      That bullet wound and its consequences prompted the medical board to send him back to England, where his quest for accommodation in London that has "comfortable rooms at a reasonable price" eventually led him to pair up with Sherlock Holmes.

                      Binand
                    • Deepak Mehta
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 27, 2014
                        Mr Binand Sethumadhavan,

                        I have used your story (of Malala and Watson) on my FB page for sharing it with those my friends who are not members of SHSI but are ans of SH nonetheless.

                        Trust it is okay with you.

                        Thanks & Regards,
                        Deepak K Mehta

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 27, 2014

                          On 27 October 2014 13:03, Deepak Mehta dkmehta_blr@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia] <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...> wrote:
                          I have used your story (of Malala and Watson) on my FB page for sharing it with those my friends who are not members of SHSI but are ans of SH nonetheless.

                          Please share a link.

                          Also note that it is not my original; I found it in a quizzing group on Facebook I'm a member of. Unfortunately it is a closed group so I can't give you a link. Please attribute the story to this group and not to me.

                          Thanks,

                          Binand
                        • Deepak Mehta

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 27, 2014

                              On 27 October 2014 14:43, Deepak Mehta dkmehta_blr@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia] <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...> wrote:
                              What is the name of the Group? I can edit the post

                              To tell you the truth, I don't recall. I'm a member of several quizzing groups, and all I can say is that the original came in one of them. Sorry! :-)

                              Binand
                            • Sajan Venniyoor
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 28, 2014
                                Malalai of Maiwand's role in the Battle of Maiwand (Second Anglo-Afghan War, 1880) is pretty fascinating.

                                Her battle cry was apparently: "Young love! If you do not fall in the battle of Maiwand, / By God, someone is saving you as a symbol of shame!" This unseemly enthusiasm for martyrdom -- a cause for some concern in our less romantic age -- was fairly common in those times, which probably explains why some 2500 Afghans including Malalai died at Maiwand, .

                                Her wikipedia entry says Malalai is "also known as "The Afghan Jeanne D'Arc" and as "The Afghan Molly Pitcher" to the Western world", or at least, to the more mentally defective elements of the Western world. Who the hell is Molly Pitcher? It's a relief they don't call Ayub Khan -- in the general vein of Orientalist dumb-assery -- the Afghan Stonewall Jackson.

                                Though Watson's jezail bullet seems to have travelled around the good doctor's body like a vagrant on steroids, the jezail itself is quite a remarkable weapon from all reports. Though largely home-made, like its present day cousins in Bihar and UP, the jezail's long barrel apparently made it deadly over fairly long distances. Watson was lucky to get out of there alive. Practically half the British and Indian troops (mostly Indian, as is usually the case) were wiped out in Maiwand.

                                As Mousa says in Rambo III: 'May God deliver us from the venom of the cobra, teeth of the tiger, and the vengeance of the Afghan.' Understand what this means?
                                Rambo: That you guys don't take any shit?
                                Mousa: Yes... something like this.

                                Sajan

                                Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:11 am . Posted by:
                                "Binand Sethumadhavan" dnanib