Print version of proceedings....

  • Dr. Nishant Kumar
    Message 1 of 10 , 13 Jan 3:25 am

      Hi, I feel it os high time we start an annual fee for members of the society and bring out the journal in print. The literary talent we have is unmatched and can easily give BSI and SHJ a run for their money.
      Dr. Nishant Kumar

      Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

    • Philip K Jones
      Message 2 of 10 , 13 Jan 8:44 am
        My friends:

        Dr. Kumar's suggestion has a great deal of merit. It also carries along
        several problems with that merit.

        The first problem is that of mailing costs. In the United States, where I
        live, numerous clubs and hobby organizations are falling victim to rising
        postal rates. For an internationally connected organization, these rates,
        across National borders, will pose even more of a problem as snail mail
        rates will continue to grow in the years to come due to increasing
        competition by electronic communications.

        The next problem is that of personal preference. For myself, I have no use
        for Kindle and other forms of electronic media storage and I prefer to rely
        on plain old hard copy reading materials. On the other hand, my wife is
        threatening to throw out my immense collection of paper books and magazines
        along with their collector. Storage space and personal preference as well
        as family pressure will all play a part in an individual's preferences for
        format types.

        The third problem is one of costs. I know that my friend, Steve Doyle, has
        concerns about publishing costs for the Baker Street Journal, and is working
        actively to reduce costs and to avoid raising subscription prices. The
        same is true for Roger Johnson at the Sherlock Holmes Journal as well as for
        many other publishers.

        The best solution I have seen to this group of problems has been produced by
        Peter Blau, who publishes the Monthly, "Scuttlebits and Bytes." His
        practice is to publish his monthly in electronic format and to distribute it
        via E-Mail to all who wish to receive it. If anyone wishes to receive hard
        copy, they must agree to pay, in advance, an appropriate fee that includes
        mailing cost to their address. This allows Peter to keep his format simple,
        without complex and expensive graphics, for most issues. It also allows him
        to lay on artistry as he wishes when it is warranted. In any case, the
        subscription cost of a set fee plus mailing costs prevents his losing
        significant money to publish a labor of love.

        Once enunciated, this procedure seems irresistible. It provides readers who
        wish hardcopy with an appropriate paper version at no additional cost to the
        publishers. It provides all interested parties with access to the contents
        at no cost and, finally, it places the lowest possible workload on the
        volunteers who do the real work involved in publication.

        I suggest that the SHSI give serious thought to making a hard-copy version
        of the semi-annual journal available, after payment in advance, to those who
        wish to receive one. The fee for a hard-copy version should vary from
        subscriber to subscriber to reflect the dual costs of physical publication
        and mailing required to send the requested copies.

        Submitted respectfully:

        Philip K. Jones

        An Ill-dressed Vagabond

        pkenj@...

        Hi, I feel it os high time we start an annual fee for members of the society
        and bring out the journal in print. The literary talent we have is unmatched
        and can easily give BSI and SHJ a run for their money.
        Dr. Nishant Kumar

        Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
        <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android>

      • Dr. Nishant Kumar
        Message 3 of 10 , 13 Jan 9:20 am

          Mr Jones,
          Thanks for supporting my idea and at the same time enumerating the problems associated with it. A hard copy doesnt neccessarily mean the end of e version. The e version stays. As for the space and collector issue, i think every household finds itself in the same predicament, me included.
          But leafing through seasoned pages of a cherished book provides a pleasure that is unparalleled.
          The postage costs in india can be minimised tahnks to india post. Much slower but reliable and a great outreach. I on the otherhand have absolutely no idea about the international shipping.
          What I have suggested is an annual membership and the costs can be regulated every year.
          Also if you pay for something, you take an active interest. Otherwise you end up being a sleeping member which I am ashamed to admit being the case with me too.
          Anyways it is just a suggestion which might be considered by the.more active members of the society and i shall be willing to put in my bit.
          Regards,

          Message 4 of 10 , 13 Jan 2:21 pm
            My friends:

            I have been a member of SHSI for close to a year now, but I have also been conspicuous by my absence from most of the discussions that have taken place. There is a good reason for this. For many years I was a professional consultant and I learned a hard lesson in that capacity. The lesson is never to criticize the ideas of others without good reason and a useable alternative to add to the discussion. In many situations that have appeared in SHSI discussions, I have had nothing to add, usually because I knew little about the matters under discussion.

            In this case, I feel I had a useful suggestion and I am happy to see that Dr. Kumar and myself are in substantial agreement in the concept. As I said, his original proposal had a great deal of merit. It appears that we had been thinking along similar lines and that my suggestions were very much parallel to his thinking in this matter. If the Society plan to introduce dues payments, I advise that they consider electronic means of payment. I strongly suggest that PayPal or a selection of internationally recognized Credit Cards be made available to accept foreign payments. The difficulties involved in making payments across borders in differing currencies are well-worth the fees charged by these services. I recall twice buying books from India and, although the books were gorgeous ("Holmes of the Raj" by Vithal Rajan and "Messres Dickens, Doyle & Wodehouse Pvt. Ltd." by Neelum Saran Gour), the hassle was far more trouble than the actual costs involved.

            Sincerely:

            Philip K. Jones

            An Ill-dressed Vagabond

            pkenj@...

            Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android>

            Message 5 of 10 , 13 Jan 2:37 pm
              Idea has merit all right. It would be nice to have our publication in print. However, a full colour print may be a bit expensive, plus any printer would require a minimum number of copies before they take it on. Peter's Scuttlebutt and Roger's District Messenger are both black and white A4 prints.

              How many people are seriously interested in this? I will get into the market research bit accordingly.

              Jay Ganguly

              On 13/01/2015 2:21 pm, "'Philip K Jones' pkenj@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia]" <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...> wrote:

              > My friends:
              >
              > I have been a member of SHSI for close to a year now, but I have also been conspicuous by my absence from most of the discussions that have taken place. There is a good reason for this. For many years I was a professional consultant and I learned a hard lesson in that capacity. The lesson is never to criticize the ideas of others without good reason and a useable alternative to add to the discussion. In many situations that have appeared in SHSI discussions, I have had nothing to add, usually because I knew little about the matters under discussion.
              >
              > In this case, I feel I had a useful suggestion and I am happy to see that Dr. Kumar and myself are in substantial agreement in the concept. As I said, his original proposal had a great deal of merit. It appears that we had been thinking along similar lines and that my suggestions were very much parallel to his thinking in this matter. If the Society plan to introduce dues payments, I advise that they consider electronic means of payment. I strongly suggest that PayPal or a selection of internationally recognized Credit Cards be made available to accept foreign payments. The difficulties involved in making payments across borders in differing currencies are well-worth the fees charged by these services. I recall twice buying books from India and, although the books were gorgeous ("Holmes of the Raj" by Vithal Rajan and "Messres Dickens, Doyle & Wodehouse Pvt. Ltd." by Neelum Saran Gour), the hassle was far more trouble than the actual costs involved.
              >
              > Sincerely:
              >
              > Philip K. Jones
              >
              > An Ill-dressed Vagabond
              >
              > pkenj@...

            • RICHARD GILLMAN
              Message 6 of 10 , 16 Jan 6:56 am
                Hello friends,

                Can I simply suggest that the document be made available in an electronic format such as a .pdf? Members can download the file for reading on tablets etc. and those members who are happy to read it on-line may also do so. Those who wish a printed copy can also use the .pdf version as a file to either print it out themselves or have the file printed and bound professionally? This removes the problems caused by both centralised printing and high postal costs. Jay and her editing team always produce a first class product and many local small print shops will be happy to produce a 'one off' copy if some members want something more permanent for their own personal library.

                As to membership fees, as suggested, PayPal is a very easy way to securely pay any person or entity that has an email address. I would heartily recommend it for ease of use and cross border / currency payments.

                Kind regards,

                Dick Gillmam

                  Message 8 of 10 , 18 Jan 12:45 am
                    This is a pretty neat idea.

                    As Jay points out, a lot would depend on the number of copies we can sell. Also, as she says, a full colour print wouldn't be very cheap. But seriously, I don't see much merit in putting it out as black & white A4 prints -- I can do better with my deskjet colour printer.

                    Having said that, professional colour printing is nowhere as expensive as it used to be, and I'd hazard a guess that it's perfectly affordable in India. You could print a paperback book in India for about a dollar (for a print run of 500 copies, I think). A magazine in full colour would certainly cost more, but I assume most of us on this list can afford more than a dollar.

                    A copy of the quarterly art magazine Marg, sells for INR 330 or $12 per issue (INR 330 is actually just under USD 5.5, but someone has to pay for post-colonial angst).

                    Himal Southasian, another quarterly (colour, digest size, 300 pages) sells for INR 400 (also USD 12 ...), and the fairly glossy Indian Quarterly sells for INR 200. There are several other publications like these, but the Indian Quarterly is the model I'd shoot for. I'd probably sell the Proceedings for INR 300, though (or USD 12).

                    I choked a bit at Philip's lament about US Post killing the print star. The Indian Post is a wondrous thing -- they haven't revised their rates since Curzon was Viceroy.

                    BOOK PACKETS CONTAINING PERIODICALS
                    1. Value of Periodical From Rs.1/- to Rs.20/- :: For First 100 gms or part thereof: Rs.2.00 (For Every Additional 100 Gms or part thereof : Rs.3.00)
                    2. Value of Periodical From Rs.21/- to Rs.50/- :: For First 100 gms or part thereof: Rs.4.00 (For Every Additional 100 Gms or part thereof : Rs.5.00)
                    3. Value of Periodical From Rs.51/-and above::  For First 100 gms or part thereof: Rs. 8.00 (For Every Additional 100 Gms or part thereof : Rs. 9.00)

                    I assume the SHSI quarterly would be 'Rs.51/- and above', so, for the price of half a cigarette, you could ship it anywhere in India.

                    (H'm, do they actually have periodicals that cost INR 1 and can be shipped for INR 2? I wouldn't have thought it possible to sell second-hand chewing gum at those rates. Newspapers can be posted anywhere in India for INR 0.25 (0.004¢), a coin that's regrettably no longer in circulation).

                    International rates are different, of course. I'm not sure if magazines come under 'Printed papers', in which case it should cost about INR 100 to ship it to the US, but if it is covered under 'Parcels'... well, just read the .pdf version. (And serves you right, I might add: I have bought books on AbeBooks.com for one dollar, and paid up to ten dollars postage. Talk about oppressing the third world).

                    A print edition is worth exploring. Let's check out the printing costs first.

                    warm regards,
                    Sajan

                    Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:07 am . Posted by:

                    "Jay Ganguly" ruling_jay

                    Message 9 of 10 , 20 Jan 3:58 am

                      Shall we do a head count? A poll can be started on the group and we can do it in an unparliamentary (pun intended) way of ayes and noes. What say?

                      Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

                      From:"Jay Ganguly ruling_jay@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia]" <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...>
                      Date:Wed, 14 Jan, 2015 at 4:07

                      Message 10 of 10 , 20 Jan 8:43 am

                        My friends:

                        As I live in the USA, my situation is not typical of SHSI membership.  With that in mind, I must say that I am content with E-copies of the SHSI Proceedings.  On the other hand, I am perfectly willing to pay a modest annual fee to retain membership and to allow others to receive hard copy versions.  I suggest that hard copy versions may be made available to members who may receive them through India Post as part of their membership.  Further, I suggest that such copies may also be made available to members who wish to receive them via International post for an additional fee that would cover the costs involved, such fee to be determined and paid in advance.  This means that I agree that the cost of publication and local mailing may be supported by a fee assessed on all members, to be paid as the SHSI board determine best suits all needs.

                        I hope that will cover all contingencies and plug all bolt-holes.  In any case, I hope that I shall continue to receive the Proceedings on a regular basis.

                        Thank you:

                        Philip K. Jones

                        An Ill-dressed Vagabond

                        pkenj@...