Why Detective Byomkesh Bakshy is no Sherlock

  • KUMAR BHATIA
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2015
      Dear friends and fellow Sherlockians ,
      Truly disappointed that none of our members has written in to comment on the release of DETECTIVE BYOMKESH BAKSHY
      Our very own "Desi Sherlock Holmes "

      Saw the movie yesterday. It's beautifully put together by the very talented Dibakar Banerjee.
      He has captured the Calcutta of 1943 superbly ,
      And Sushant  Singh Rajput in the title role has really done justice to the
      persona of Byomkesh as sketched by Saradindu Bandopadhya .
      Strongly urge members to see it asap and post your comments .
    • Sachin Chatte
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2015
        Thanks for posting the link Kumar, am sure any of our members here would have written a better piece than the one published in Hindustan times . There were some unintentionally silly gems  (Byomkesh uses his intelligence and adept skills to solve the cases. What did Holmes use then ?) and this (Here are six points where Byomkesh Bakshy is different from Sherlock Holmes. Detective Byomkesh Bakshy is original).

        I must confess I am not familiar with the stories of Byomkesh (I have seen Basu Chatterjee's tv series though) but it clearly looks like a derivative of Holmes, with the added Bengali essence.

        Since it was mentioned, here is my review of Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! (sachinchatte.blogspot.in/2015/04/film-review-detective-byomkesh-bakshy.html)

        Sachin