Re: Sherlock Holmes In India

  • SHSI Editors
    Message 1 of 4 , May 25, 2015

      Thanks, Roger!

      Mr Khan - I'm sure you would be happy to learn that Sherlock Holmes is very much alive and active in our country! And much loved, too...not only Rathbone, but all his avatars.

      Permit me to introduce you to the Sherlock Holmes Society of India - we are an online, non-monetary, national group (on Yahoo Groups) of about 200 core Sherlockians. We have a Facebook page as well as a blog, and a biannual publication called "Proceedings of the Pondicherry Lodge". In fact, the summer issue will be out next week. You may find our website interesting - www.sherlockholmessociety.in - and all previous issues of the magazine are available for free. Our annual meeting is on the fourth weekend of August, this year in Calcutta.

      Your project sounds fascinating and we would certainly love to hear more about it. You may be aware of the Sherlock hotel in Ooty, which is a renovated colonial bungalow, and the Sherlock Holmes pub in Bangalore, which is rather decrepit.

      Similar to the UK, Sherlock Holmes is out of the copyright period in India.

      For the Conan Doyle Estate, I'd urge you to take Roger's advice.

      Do let me know if you would like more information or wish to discuss. SHSI would love to welcome you to our group.

      Cheers
      Jay
      General Secretary and Editor
      Sherlock Holmes Society of India

      On 25/05/2015 6:19 pm, "Roger Johnson" <rojerjohnson@...> wrote:
      Dear Maaz Ahmed Khan,

      Thank you for your message.

      I think our friends in the Sherlock Holmes Society of India may be surprised to learn that "Sherlock Holmes has almost been wiped out in India". I am copying this to them, as I'm sure they will be interested in your project.

      As to the Conan Doyle Estate, that is a matter for you and the Estate's directors. I refer you to their website at Official site of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle family | Conan Doyle Estate Ltd.

      image

      Official site of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle family | Con...
      Conan Doyle Estate Ltd is owned by the Arthur Conan Doyle family. Find family photos, Sherlock Holmes copyright information and latest news.
      Preview by Yahoo

      As far as I know, however, no individual or organisation owns any Indian rights in the Sherlock Holmes stories, so you should not need to ask anyone's permission.

      Sincerely,

      Roger Johnson
      Press & Publicity Officer
      The Sherlock Holmes Society of London
      www.sherlock-holmes.org.uk

      THE SHERLOCK HOLMES MISCELLANY by Roger Johnson & Jean Upton
      "This work belongs in the hands of every Sherlockian who has had to explain the lure of Baker Street."  — The Baker Street Journal
      http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk

      Message 2 of 4 , May 25, 2015
        My fellow Sherlockians:

        Please accept my assurances that love of Holmes is NOT dead in India. I created and have maintained the Database of Sherlockian Pastiches, Parodies and Related Fiction for more than ten years. At least two books of well-written Sherlockian fiction have been written and published in India in the last few years.

        Neelum Saran Gour wrote "Messres Dickens, Doyle & Wodehouse Pvt. Ltd.," a comedic novel written in the style of P. G. Wodehouse that puts P. G. Wodehouse; Oliver Twist; , Nicholas Nickleby; Jeeves and David Copperfield through a set of comedic whoops(sic) along with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Charles Dickens and Sherlock Holmes.

        Vithal Rajan published a beautiful, hand bound, limited edition of his "Holmes of the Raj" in India that includes six novellas about the events of Holmes and Dr. Watson's time in India at the request of Mycroft Holmes. In addition, the honoured Mr. Rajan has published two other books that include Sherlockian fiction: "Different Millenia: Three Plays" is a set of play scripts that includes a tale of "Sherlock Holmes and The Pirates of the Horn" and "The Year of High Treason," is a novel that takes place during the great Durbar in 1903(?). The publication of these latter two books did not originate in India.

        In any case, all the books do their authors proud and bring particular insights into the life of The Great Detective when seen through the eyes of inheritors of the Jewel in the Crown of Empire.

        Submitted respectfully:

        Philip K. Jones

        An Ill-dressed Vagabond

        pkenj@...

        As to the Conan Doyle Estate, that is a matter for you and the Estate's directors. I refer you to their website at Official site of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle family | Conan Doyle Estate Ltd <http://www.conandoyleestate.com/> .

        <http://www.conandoyleestate.com/> Image removed by sender. image

        <http://www.conandoyleestate.com/> Official site of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle family | Con...

        <http://www.conandoyleestate.com/> View on www.conandoyleesta...

        http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk <http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/index.php/the-sherlock-holmes-miscellany.html>

        _____

[...]

        Image removed by sender.

        --

        Warm Regards,

        Maaz

        Message 3 of 4 , May 28, 2015
          Dear Holmesians and Shri Khan,
          I would like to add two more books on Sherlock Holmes written by members of SHSI, in addition to  the books mentioned by Shri Roger Johnson and Shri Jeff Katz. Holmes Sutra written by Ms. Jayantika Ganguly( General Secy, SHSI) and Sherlock Holmes in Japan by Vasudev Murthy.

          Sherlock Holmes is kicking and alive in India and we are trying to reach out to youngsters through social media as well.

        • Tim Symonds
          Message 4 of 4 , May 28, 2015

            Perhaps the SHSI might contact the curator of the wonderful (quite large) exhibition of Sherlockiana recently held at the Museum of London in case he could advise on something smaller but really attractive for India?  Alex Werner  awerner@...   Quite a bit extra income for the MoL was made through sales of sherlockiana in the shop.

            Maybe the British Council in Delhi would assist getting something touring India under the auspices of the SHSI?

            Cheers!

            Tim