Prof Moriarty

    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2016

      Dear Holmesians,

      Prof Moriarty appears only in "the Final Problem" and the "Valley of Fear" despite which he is considered as Sherlock Holmes's  primary antagonist.

      SH had several adversaries who were formidable, Charles Augustus Milverton, Irene Adler, Mr. Jack Stapleton, Baron  Adelbert Gruner etc. However, Prof Moriarty wields a disproportionate influence in the minds of Holmesians. Can anyone throw more light on this issue?

      Regards,

      Sumal S

    • Tim Symonds
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2016

        I think it must be the language Doyle employed in discussing Moriarty - as it states on Wikipedia: Moriarty is a criminal mastermind whom Holmes describes as the "Napoleon of crime". Doyle lifted the phrase from a Scotland Yard inspector who was referring to Adam Worth, a real-life criminal mastermind and one of the individuals upon whom the character of Moriarty was based.

        Incidentally, if anyone is visiting London it's really worthwhile going to north London to walk around Highgate Cemetery. It's known for the grave of Karl Marx but Adam Worth is buried there (see above).

        As ever

        Tim

          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2016
            My friends:

            The "identity" of Professor Moriarty has been a matter of discussion among Sherlockians for some time. There is, of course, the problem of the three brothers, all named James Moriarty, and there is also the question of earlier contacts between Sherlock and the Professor. There are several series, mostly Children's Books, that link Sherlock, Watson, Moriarty and others, as children or teenagers.

            Finally, there are several authors who propose that "Professor Moriarty" was someone already known to Sherlock under another name. Like "solutions" to the identity of "Saucy Jack," these range from the prosaic to the ridiculous. The strongest case I know of in this line was made by Thomas Kent Miller in his crossover series linking Sherlock Holmes and Alan Quatermain. Miller proposes that the "Professor" was actually Sherlock and Mycroft's older brother, Sherrinford. Miller's case, at least, makes sense as do so few of the other identities proposed.

            Sincerely:

            Phil

            Philip K. Jones

            An Illdressed Vagabond

            pkenj@...

            I think it must be the language Doyle employed in discussing Moriarty - as it states on Wikipedia: Moriarty is a criminal mastermind whom Holmes describes as the " <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon> Napoleon of crime". Doyle lifted the phrase from a Scotland Yard inspector who was referring to <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Worth> Adam Worth, a real-life criminal mastermind and one of the individuals upon whom the character of Moriarty was based.

            Incidentally, if anyone is visiting London it's really worthwhile going to north London to walk around Highgate Cemetery. It's known for the grave of Karl Marx but Adam Worth is buried there (see above).

            As ever

            Tim

            Prof Moriarty appears only in "the Final Problem" and the "Valley of Fear" despite which he is considered as Sherlock Holmes's primary antagonist.

            SH had several adversaries who were formidable, Charles Augustus Milverton, Irene Adler, Mr. Jack Stapleton, Baron Adelbert Gruner etc. However, Prof Moriarty wields a disproportionate influence in the minds of Holmesians. Can anyone throw more light on this issue?

            Regards,

            Sumal S

          • abhilash nandamuri
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2016
              The other formidable opponents mentioned operate in ways that influence
              only people and events on a minor scale. However, Moriarty operates in a
              way that shapes events on a global level. He is said to be the protector of
              the London/British underworld, in exchange for fee or other services. He is
              a mathematician who went to Cambridge, extremely athletic, and has friends
              in high places. He does his acts but no one can trace it back to him. In
              Holmes' own words 'He is akin to a spider weaving a web,and he has complete
              control over each of its strands'.
              May be that is why he is rated so highly.

              --
              *Abhilash Nandamuri*

            • james_iyer
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2016