'Sherlock Holmes And The Nine-Dragon Sigil'

  • Tim Symonds
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 2016
      Dear SHSI listserve members, my latest novel comes out this coming month, November. If anyone writes book reviews for Indian newspapers such as the Times of India, I’ll be happy to send a complimentary review copy – let me have a postal address. It should be of especial interest to readers who find the collapse of the last (Ch’ing Dynasty) a gripping feature in China’s long and extraordinary history.
      With my very best
      Tim
      [cid:image004.jpg@01D22E23.80B05AE0] From MX Publishing November 21 2016. www.mxpublishing.co.uk<http://www.mxpublishing.co.uk>

      Sigil. Pronounced sijil. An inscribed or painted symbol or occult sign considered to have magical power

      It's the year 1906. Rumours abound that a deadly plot is hatching - not in the fog-ridden back-alleys of London's Limehouse district or the sinister Devon moors of the Hound of the Baskervilles but in faraway Peking. Holmes's task - discover whether such a plot exists and if so, foil it.

      But are the assassins targeting the young and progressive Ch'ing Emperor or his imperious aunt, the fearsome Empress Dowager Cixi?

      The murder of either could spark a civil war.

      China's fate and the interests of Britain's Empire in the Orient could be at stake.

      Holmes and Watson take up the mission with their customary confidence – until they find they are no longer in the familiar landscapes of Edwardian England. Instead, they tumble into the Alice In Wonderland world of The Forbidden City.

      Tim Symonds was born in London. He grew up in Somerset, Dorset and the Channel Island of Guernsey. After several years travelling widely, including farming in the Highlands of Kenya and living along the Zambezi River in Central Africa, he emigrated to the United States. He studied at Göttingen, in Germany, and the University of California, Los Angeles, graduating Phi Beta Kappa in Political Science.

      [Tim Nargokot nepal DSC01034]Nagarkot Hill Station Himalayas

      He is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.

      Sherlock Holmes And The Nine-Dragon Sigil was written in a converted oast house near Rudyard Kipling’s old home, Bateman’s, in the English county of East Sussex.

      Other detective novels by the author include -

      Sherlock Holmes And The Mystery Of Einstein’s Daughter, Sherlock Holmes And The Case Of The Bulgarian Codex;Sherlock Holmes And The Dead Boer At Scotney Castle, and Sherlock Holmes And The Sword Of Osman.

      Website http://tim-symonds.co.uk/(still in development)

      [https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/78/Neun-Drachen-Mauer.jpg/1024px-Neun-Drachen-Mauer.jpg%5d

    • Tim Symonds
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2016
        Dear Sumal, if you or other members of the Society write book reviews or blogs, I would be very happy to post a complimentary review copy of my newest Sherlock Holmes novel to you/them, set in Peking in 1906/7. I feel it has particular appeal to much of Asia because of the importance of China over the past few Centuries.

        With best wishes

        Tim

        Published this week -

        It’s 1907. Holmes and Watson encounter the terrifying Empress Dowager Cixi at the height of her powers…

        [cid:image004.jpg@01D2338C.3C544780]
        https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Sherlock-Holmes-Nine-Dragon-Sigil-Symonds/1787050351

        Sherlock Holmes And The Nine-Dragon Sigil

        From MX Publishing November 21 2016. www.mxpublishing.co.uk<http://www.mxpublishing.co.uk>
        First review of the 'Nine-Dragon Sigil' https://www.readingalley.com/book/view_review/da3ba823/9/d3d97d83/
[...]

        ***

        Sherlock Holmes And The Nine-Dragon Sigil was written in a converted oast house near Rudyard Kipling’s old home, Bateman’s, in the English county of East Sussex.

        Tim Symonds was born in London. He grew up in Somerset, Dorset and the Channel Island of Guernsey. After several years travelling widely, including farming in the Highlands of Kenya and working on the Zambezi River in Central Africa, he emigrated to the United States. He studied at Göttingen, in Germany, and the University of California, Los Angeles, graduating Phi Beta Kappa in Political Science.
        [Tim Nargokot nepal DSC01034] Nagarkot Hill Station Himalayas
        He is a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.
        Other detective novels by the author include -
        Sherlock Holmes And The Mystery Of Einstein’s Daughter, Sherlock Holmes And The Case Of The Bulgarian Codex; Sherlock Holmes And The Dead Boer At Scotney Castle, and Sherlock Holmes And The Sword Of Osman.
        Website http://tim-symonds.co.uk/
        [cid:image002.jpg@01D233AC.755B12A0] Nine-Dragon Wall Peking

      • Ron Lies

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 24, 2016