Allegations of plagiarism against Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

    Message 1 of 5 , 21 Apr

      Dear Holmesians,

      According to the research by Rodger Garrick-Steele, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle stole the work, The Hound of the Baskervilles - and then poisoned Bertram Fletcher Robinson, the true author to cover up the plagiarism.

      It is also  claimed that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle  did not act alone in killing his friend Bertram Fletcher Robinson, but colluded with Robinson's wife Gladys, with whom he was having a passionate affair.

      The accusation is in a 446-page manuscript entitled The House of the Baskervilles, completed after 11 years of investigation.

      You can read more at this link

      http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/was-conan-doyle-a-killer-and-a-thief-698700.html

      What do you think of this theory? It was floated around the year 2000.

      Regards

      Sumal S

      Message 2 of 5 , 21 Apr

        On 21 April 2017 at 16:36, sumalsn <no_reply@...> wrote:

        What do you think of this theory? It was floated around the year 2000.

        Do we really have to discuss it? It was so thoroughly debunked at the time itself. :-)

        Binand
      • Ron Lies

          Message 4 of 5 , 22 Apr

            I agree with Ron, it’s nonsense. As I recall, Arthur Conan Doyle was told of the tale of the mysterious hound on the moors by someone who lived in Devon but, as I recall reading, Doyle went on to pay the man £50 for the story which became The Hound of the Baskervilles.  As far as I know, there is no record of Doyle paying anyone else for other suggestions for his short stories. This was a real pity. If it had been his practice to offer payment for clever ideas, the final dozen or so short stories other than The Hound may have been much better. Most critics feel the cases written up by Dr. Watson before the Great Hiatus were of much higher quality. The later ones were written when Doyle was perhaps losing his interest in his great invention.

            Best to all.

            Tim

            (Author of ‘Sherlock Holmes And The Nine-Dragon Sigil’ etc)

            Message 5 of 5 , 22 Apr

              On 22 April 2017 at 13:40, Tim Symonds tim.symonds@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia] <SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia@...> wrote:
              As I recall, Arthur Conan Doyle was told of the tale of the mysterious hound on the moors by someone who lived in Devon but, as I recall reading, Doyle went on to pay the man £50 for the story which became The Hound of the Baskervilles.

              https://blog.bookstellyouwhy.com/the-scandal-haunting-the-hound-of-the-baskervilles

              "Doyle acknowledged Robinson’s contributions with a footnote in the first chapter: "This story owes its inception to my friend, Mr. Fletcher Robinson, who has helped me both in the general plot and in the local details." Additionally, Doyle paid Robinson £500".

              Also see (this link is not functional anymore; so I am picking it up from the wayback machine):

              This puts the amount at £50 like you say.

              In any case, this Rodger Garrick-Steele's allegations are scurrilous, to say the least.

              Btw, Mr. Robinson's own stories are available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1616460970