Inspector Lestrade

    Message 1 of 5 , 19 May

      Dear Holmesians,

      H. Paul Jeffers wonderfully describes Inspector Lestrade in his book ," Pg 95-Bloody Business : An Anecdotal History of Scotland Yard"

      "He is the most famous detective ever to walk the corridors of Scotland Yard, yet he existed only in the fertile imagination of a writer. He was Inspector Lestrade. We do not know his first name, only his initial: G. Although he appears thirteen times in the immortal adventures of Sherlock Holmes, nothing is known of the life outside the Yard of the detective whom Dr. Watson described unflatteringly as sallow, rat-faced, and dark-eyed and whom Holmes saw as quick and energetic but wholly conventional, lacking in imagination, and normally out of his depth—the best of a bad lot who had reached the top in the CID by bulldog tenacity.

      Information courtesy: Wikipedia

      Regards,

      Sumal S

      Message 2 of 5 , 21 May
        Dear Holmesians,
        MJ Trow wrote a series of seventeen books using Lestrade as the central character, beginning with "The Adventures of Inspector Lestrade" in 1985.
        Are there any members familiar with these books?
        Message 3 of 5 , 21 May

          I have the first book in the series on my kindle. Haven't read it yet though.

          Binand

          On Sun 21 May, 2017, 12:48 sumalsn, <no_reply@...> wrote:

          Dear Holmesians,
          MJ Trow wrote a series of seventeen books using Lestrade as the central character, beginning with "The Adventures of Inspector Lestrade" in 1985.
          Are there any members familiar with these books?

        • Ron Lies
          Message 4 of 5 , 21 May

            Binand and Sumalsn, I am not trying to influence you with what follows . It is only my opinion. I read the first book in the series that dealt with Lestrade trying to catch the Ripper. Spoiler alert, I will not reveal the ending unless you email me back in case you to read the book and form your own opinion.

             I found the plot and the details did not work for me so I did not read any further into the series. That decision was influenced by the demands of so many other Sherlockian books to read beside my opinion stated earlier.. I never drifted back to reading any more.of M J Trows works. That is my input. I would like to thank you again for allowing me to join your group. I enjoy your publication and have even contributed to it.

            Ron in DEnver

            On 5/21/2017 4:01 AM, Binand Sethumadhavan binand@... [SherlockHolmesSocietyofIndia] wrote:

            I have the first book in the series on my kindle. Haven't read it yet though.

            Binand

            On Sun 21 May, 2017, 12:48 sumalsn, <no_reply@...> wrote:

            Dear Holmesians,
            MJ Trow wrote a series of seventeen books using Lestrade as the central character, beginning with "The Adventures of Inspector Lestrade" in 1985.
            Are there any members familiar with these books?

          • Philip K Jones
            Message 5 of 5 , 21 May
              My friends:

              I must admit that these comments expressed my opinions of the series ever so much better than I could have done. I have a copy of another book in the series titled "Lestrade and the Ripper," but I haven't even bothered to open it to see if it is a copy or whatever. I simply cannot get into the writer's world, so "why bother?"

              Philip K. Jones

              An Illdressed Vagabond

              pkenj@...