1255Re: Shimla - Newsletter Hello

  • Moderator
    Jun 18, 2003
      Hi alannox

      Thank you for posting and welcome to the group. I did the Manali - Leh route last year. The tents at Jispa you mentioned are normally booked in advance as major tour operators use them. I will forward a Delhi number where you can enquire about reservations at Jispa, tomorrow. This year as I hear and as an indication from the Lonely planet's Thorn tree, there is quite a lot of rush on this route. Last two years have been sluggish season in this sector due to war mongering on the border.

      There is another HPTDC run tented accomdation at Sarchu. Now if you prebook from Manali they charge Rs. 500/- but if you enquire at Sarchu, you may get a tent for Rs. 300/- for two person with dinner and breakfast, depends how good a bargainer you are :)) There are tents at Darcha, Pang and Udaipur also where the locals charge 80 - 100 bucks per person. Its basically a big tent with four or five person sharing and its comfortable. Bedding is normally provided but carrying a sleeping bag is always helpful.

      There is another member Sarju5 who can give more information. Guess it must be morning time in Canada and he would be logging in soon.

      Will post the Delhi number tomorrow... BTW you are from which place?

      Nitin