getting to Shimla !!

  • David
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 2004
      hi . I need some help . We are coming from Japan to Shimla , We want
      to book a train to Shimla from New Delhi on an early AM train for the
      27th OCt and back on the 30th AM to New Delhi .
      Can anyone advise how to get tickets and what is the best route to
      take .
      Thanks !
      Dave Simpson
      Japan
    • NITYIN
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 22, 2004
        Hi David

        Thanks for writing.. Check out the Indian Railways website for availability and schedule of trains. You can reserve your seats online on this Railway website through credit card.

        Only thing, the railways don't courier your ticket overseas. Check with your hotel in Delhi to hold tickets for you.

        For the classes available, CC is chair car class, an air-con compartment. 2S is a non aircon sitting compartment.

        Cheers
        Nitin

      • sarju5
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 24, 2004
          Hi friends

          How is the credit card scene in India .... is it sort of safe to use
          your credit card in new Delhi ... I guess this Railways website (that
          Nitin recommended) must be okay ..... i usually try to make my
          purchases in cash only .... you can call me chicken or scared but
          don't call me anti-Indian ... lols

          A friend of mine is travelling to India in November, she made some
          reservations at a hotel last week and yesterday her credit card
          showed some purchases in India that she has no idea about

          man we guys are really smart in India .... ha ha ... she has not even
          landed yet and her credit card shows some purchases that she never
          made .... i guess it is easier for us to know what to trust since we
          grow up here but it must be hard for the firangs

          cheers everyone
          Jai Hind
          sarju

          --- In Shimlahangout@..., NITYIN <bnityin@y...> wrote:
          > Hi David
          >
          > Thanks for writing.. Check out the Indian Railways website for
          availability and schedule of trains. You can reserve your seats
          online on this Railway website through credit card.

          > Only thing, the railways don't courier your ticket overseas. Check
          with your hotel in Delhi to hold tickets for you.

          > For the classes available, CC is chair car class, an air-con
          compartment. 2S is a non aircon sitting compartment.

          > Cheers
          > Nitin

        • NITYIN
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 26, 2004
            Hi Sarju

            Thanks for writing after such a long time... Man you are seriously missed on board..!!!

            Using credit card on Indian Railway site has never been a problem with me.. Have been using it since the service was launched for the past 1 year now. Have used it on Rediff / Bazee also and never had a problem. These sites have dedicated safe servers and if you notice the url on these sites is https://www.xyz.com than the usual http://www.xyz.com

            Giving out card numbers while making hotel, car rentals or even with the travel agents can be a big problem and is fraught of dangers of being used by some of the employees of these concerns. There was a scam earlier this year where the swiping machines were copying even pin numbers from the card.

            The other best option is to have a debit card. You can use it quite convienently and is a safer option than CC plus is widely accepted in India.

            For your friend, please inform the hotel about the fraud. The hotel must be having a reputation to protect..

            Nitin