Kalka-Shimla

  • ROHIT BAGGA
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005

      Hi All

      I am planning to visit India in Oct. 2005 with family and looking for some info. on Kalka-Shimla Train and Hotels in Shimla.

      I found some info. like Kalka Shimla have four different type of premium services are available for travellers on the Kalka-Shimla section

      The Deluxe Rail Motor Car,

      The Shivalik Deluxe Express,

      The Shivalik Palace (Tourist Coach) and

      The Shivalik Queen Tourist Coach.

      So far I couldn't decide which one is the BEST. Can somebody help me to make my decision

      Which one I should use to travel between Kalka-Shimla ?

      Also how long in advance I should make reservation for the same ?

      Secondly, I am planning to stay in the hotel situated on the Ridge, next to the Chruch ( if am not mistaken, that hotel's name is Mayur ).

      I tried to contact them by didn't get any reply back :) and geting emails back as delivery fail.

      Is that hotel is good to spend 3 days/nights in Shimla, if not then which hotel I should live in ?

      and also is that hotel approachable by car or any other transportation ?

      Except that I also do have plan to stay one day/night in Solan. Is there anybody who know if there is any hotel to stay in Solan ?

      With Thanks

      RBagga

    • Nitin
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- ROHIT BAGGA wrote:
        > The Deluxe Rail Motor Car,
        > The Shivalik Deluxe Express,
        > The Shivalik Palace (Tourist Coach) and
        > The Shivalik Queen Tourist Coach.

        > So far I couldn't decide which one is the BEST. Can somebody help
        me to make my decision.Which one I should use to travel between
        Kalka-Shimla ?

        If you want to travel in style then Shivalik Palace coach is the
        thing. Its a full coach attached to the Shivalik Deluxe Express
        train. You have a fully furnished coach at your disposal with an
        attendent. Other wise you can reserve seats in the Shivalik Deluxe
        Express train which is basically a Non a/c CHAIR CAR.

        > Also how long in advance I should make reservation for the same ?

        Normally reservations for Shivalik starts 60 days in advance from
        the date of journey.

        > Secondly, I am planning to stay in the hotel situated on the
        Ridge, next to the Chruch ( if am not mistaken, that hotel's name is
        Mayur ). is that hotel approachable by car or any other
        Transportation?

        No, its not approachable by car! You will have to walk up. If you
        want a drive-in hotel try, Holiday Home or the Oberoi Cecil.

        > Except that I also do have plan to stay one day/night in Solan. Is
        there anybody who know if there is any hotel to stay in Solan ?

        I have heard about Himani at Solan, don't know how good it is but I
        can suggest Hotel Pinewood at Barog which is run by HPTDC. A great
        place.

        > With Thanks

        A pleasure always!

        Nitin
      • ROHIT BAGGA
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005

          Hi Nitin

          Thanks for the info.

          My first target is to watch and enjoy beauty of mountains and nature.

          I am looking for train with big openable windows to see and enjoy outside beauty.

          Did you have any idea if Shivalik Palace coach have openable windows ?

          I don't want to use credit card over the phone or i.net. What is the other best way to make reservation while I am sitting abroad ?

          Take Care

          Rohit

          Nitin <bnityin@...> wrote:

          --- ROHIT BAGGA wrote:
          > The Deluxe Rail Motor Car,
          > The Shivalik Deluxe Express,
          > The Shivalik Palace (Tourist Coach) and
          > The Shivalik Queen Tourist Coach.

          > So far I couldn't decide which one is the BEST. Can somebody help
          me to make my decision.Which one I should use to travel between
          Kalka-Shimla ?

          If you want to travel in style then Shivalik Palace coach is the
          thing. Its a full coach attached to the Shivalik Deluxe Express
          train. You have a fully furnished coach at your disposal with an
          attendent. Other wise you can reserve seats in the Shivalik Deluxe
          Express train which is basically a Non a/c CHAIR CAR.

          > Also how long in advance I should make reservation for the same ?

          Normally reservations for Shivalik starts 60 days in advance from
          the date of journey.

          > Secondly, I am planning to stay in the hotel situated on the
          Ridge, next to the Chruch ( if am not mistaken, that hotel's name is
          Mayur ). is that hotel approachable by car or any other
          Transportation?

          No, its not approachable by car! You will have to walk up. If you
          want a drive-in hotel try, Holiday Home or the Oberoi Cecil.

          > Except that I also do have plan to stay one day/night in Solan. Is
          there anybody who know if there is any hotel to stay in Solan ?

          I have heard about Himani at Solan, don't know how good it is but I
          can suggest Hotel Pinewood at Barog which is run by HPTDC. A great
          place.

          > With Thanks

          A pleasure always!

          Nitin

        • Nitin
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
            Hi Rohit

            None of these trains have openable windows as far I can remember.
            The reason being its a very narrow track with hillside on one end.

            You can reserve tickets online on Indian Railway website with a CC
            at www.irctc.co.in

            Its a good website and I have been using it regularly with no
            problems. Only thing you have to give an address in India where the
            tickets are to be delivered as they don't send international
            couriers.

            Alternatively you can ask any of your friends / relatives to make a
            payment and collect tickets for you.

            Regards
            Nitin
          • ROHIT BAGGA
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2005

              hi Nitin

              thanks again for the email.

              this is my personal experience that himachali are always ready to help and share info. with strangers who requested than people from other parts.

              i am disappointed to know about fixed windows. but i do hope the windows will be clear and transparent, not like Rajdhani.

              also one thing i am confused about fare of

              Shivalik Palace Tourist Coach. it's Rs.4850/- in the up but not sure if this is for whole coupe for 6 persons or for each person ( Rs.4850 x 6 ) ?

              once again i would like to say thanks to you for the info. and time spend to collect info. for me.

              Regards

              RBagga

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 8, 2005
                Hi Rohit

                Sorry to disappoint you again but the windows in SP are just like
                Rajdhani!

                The fare of 4850/- is applicable for 6 person and they serve
                breakfast during the journey.

                Its always a pleasure to assist people on board. The only problem is
                am not regular these days due to hitches in dial up net connection
                here in my part of world.

                Boy I do my miss my Ahmedabad days and the DSL... that seems another
                lifetime!

                Cheers
                Nitin