NJPC Flooding-Generation likely stopped for 2 months

  • Tenzin
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
      Nathpa flooding: govt orders inquiry
      Rakesh Lohumi
      Tribune News Service

      Shimla, September 11
      Exactly a week after the underground power house of
      the 1500-MW Nathpa-Jhakri project was submerged due to
      bursting of labyrinth pipe the Government of India has
      ordered an inquiry into the incident.

      The inquiry will be conducted by a five-member
      committee of experts headed by the Chairman of the
      Central Electricity Authority. The committee will
      ascertain the causes responsible for the bursting of
      the pipe of the fourth generating unit, which led to
      backflow of water from tail pool into the power house
      on September 4. It will also pinpoint lapses, if any,
      and suggest corrective measures. The committee has
      been asked to submit its report within a month.

      Mr D.N. Padhy, Special Secretary, Union Ministry of
      Power, who has been camping at Jhakri for the past
      three days, held detailed talks with the management of
      the Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam. He underlined the need to
      bring the project back on the rails and resuming
      generation at the earliest.

      However, sources in the nigam said that the project
      could remain shut down for the next two months. The
      power house was still under 13 m of water and so far
      even the extent of damage to machinery could not be
      ascertained. The exact position would be known only
      after dewatering of the power house. The power supply
      unit, the battery unit and the control panel would
      have to be put in place again. The damaged labyrinth
      pipe and other damaged parts of turbines would also
      have to be replaced. All this would require time.

      The loss on account of loss of generation during the
      current financial year had touched Rs 450 crore till
      yesterday. As things stand at the moment, the project
      may not achieve even 50 per cent of the annual target
      of generating 6,950 million units and the total loss
      could touch Rs 800 crore.

      Meanwhile, the dewatering gained some momentum with
      the nigam pressing seven pumps, four in the tail pool
      and three inside the power house, to speed up
      operation. Water was being pumped out at 250 litres
      per second and more pumps were being deployed to
      achieve a pumping rate of 500 litres per second to
      complete the dewatering in the next six days.

      The nigam is in touch with Bharat Heavy Electrical
      Limited (BHEL), which supplied the generating units,
      so that repairs could be undertaken as soon as water
      is pumped out. Any delay could lead to rusting of
      machinery and it could be rendered irreparable.

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • sanjay versain
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
        It is sad that the most embitious power project the country has build after independence is facing problems without even having started properly. I remember having visited the project as a journalism student while it was under construction. For me it was the greatest engineering marvel and it still is. What sadened me at that time was the amout of distruction being carried out to carve tunnels, roads, etc. In my next visit I found that everything had changed with very little signs of earth-removing activities. But I knew the hills on which I was standing were now empty housing huge machinery or carrying huge quantity of Satluj water. Still, everything seemed OK as the site itself had been beautified to a great extent.
        But today I realise it is not too easy to tame nature, whatever the effort, in this case more than Rs 50,000 crore rupees......

        Yahoo! for Good

      • Tenzin
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 12, 2005
          Hi Sanjay
          I thought i would like to mentione few pointers
          regarding NJPC. This project is a gem in its final
          technical execution. No two thoughts about that. I
          have seen the thing shape up in front of my eyes.
          Since i grew up there. The dam has always been from
          the start bogged with numerous controversies.
          Intially HPSEB(Himachal Pradesh State Electricty
          Board) was supposed to build this dam. The paper dam
          as i would call it then was built only on huge tonnes
          of papers and finally when CBI raided them. Huge cash
          was found to be misplaced by te concerned officials. I
          remember local legends as how "sone ki eent" i.e
          bricks of golds were found in the toilets of corrupt
          HPSEB officers. Heads were rolled.
          There after the state govt. found that it is beyond
          its capability in financial and technical terms to
          execute this project. A very true assessment.
          Afterwards the prject was given to a joint centre
          state venture named NJPC with 75:25 equity stake. With
          generous world bank support.
          Some of the issues that raked up like cancellation of
          loans by world bank, miscalculation of the dam height
          by 2 metre which almost threatned to cut power
          generation by half are nicely covered in this link.

          http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm199900/cmselect/cmintdev/73/73ap02.htm

          The final cost of the NJPC project was around 10,000
          crores and not 50,000 crores. I dont think India can
          afford a 50,000 crore project and such mega projects
          are prone to environmental issues.

          All said, NJPC is a welcome change to upper himachal.
          What is desired is that the locals should be given
          more participation in the project through job
          generation, scholarships for the local childrens,
          building of good schools(NJPC did build a Delhi Public
          School for its own staff), building up hospitals,
          colleges. They have the infrastructure to put all that
          in place and the money too.

          NJPC is now going to execute Rampur Hydel project.
          This project would involve boring of another head race
          tunnel from Jhakri(the existing end point of NJPC
          tunnel) to the power generation units near Rampur. The
          project 400 MW in size is again huge.
          Lets hope the mistakes of the past are not repeated.
          And that the people of the region would benefit this
          time atleast.

          Yahoo! for Good
        • sanjay versain
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005
            HI,

            I personally beleive big hydro projects do disturb the local ecology besides being potential disaster zones - both man-made and natural. I would prefer every village tapping the stream flowing nearby to meet their energy needs. And even if big projects have to be built, that should be done to benifit the locals first and then the outside world. Himachal is still not getting its due share from the NJPC projects and so is the case with other projects. i have visited a number of small and large projects throughout the state and could not see much change in the local economy. I wonder what happened to the govt's resolve to encourage people's cooperatives to produce power in Himachal. I hope it still happens. The fault lies with us common himachalis too - we don't have the guts to come together for a cause I suppose. So let's prey to the almighty that nothing goes wrong.........

            regards,
            sanjay

            Yahoo! for Good

            Yahoo! for Good

          • HARSHVARDHAN SINGH
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005

              Hi people,

               I must tell you people the NJPC is the biggest lost to the country as there is a lot of problems right of now

              1. Location of the project is under review

              2. The principle plan of the project is under review

              As you may know it is unable to give power as it is semi   under water

              3. NJPC people have eaten half on money which World Bank has given to them as e.g.

               1 to 2 lakes was spend in ever small celebrate

              4. all turbines in the project are out of working capacity as the project itself is not older then 1 years old and on average the age of the turbines is over the age of 6 to 7 years …/funny thing is the Indian turbines which was taken from BHEL is all working but all imported thing are not working this all meant there has been a very big case of hanky-panky

              as power project is very important in my setae ^himachal^ as the state  is going to be a power state in due years its help people to enrolment them for a working class .

              plus it is the main place from the state get a handsome chunk of money . it is very much said that only government projects are  always absent to place themselves in a good way .

              Yahoo! for Good

              THANK YOU

            • NITYIN
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 13, 2005

                A case point here I would like to mention is the Sanjay Vidyut Project built and operated by HPSEB at Bhaba Nagar which is completely underground and has been working fantastically. This project was a prelude to the one of NJPC.

                Though not myself a technical person but what I have gathered after talking to people connected with the project there are two main faults.. One is the outlet of the tunnel which is just on the river bank which results in the flooding of the tunnel during rainy season. Instead the water discharged should have been from height sort of a water fall. Another main fault is with the turbines which have been imported. They are not working properly. BHEL people did a wonderful job in setting up of the powerhouse but imported turbines are said to be faulty.

                Lastly, the tales of corruption at NJPC are legendry. Recently one senior official was in probe as he had got the job on the basis of forged certificates. Officers facing corruption charges were promoted to senior posts. There are allegations in acquiring land for the Rampur project where a few locals have been given preferential treatment. Even in the functions organized by NJPC, only a few local traders are given the contracts where the commission is fixed with them… The entire racket is well organized. There are some local influential persons who scout around and fix deals for the officials.

                Satluj basin has become a money minting goldmine for NJPC guys!!

                Yahoo! for Good
              • sanjay versain
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 14, 2005
                  Hay, can you get me more details about this guy who got the job using a fake certificate and any other act of corruption which can be proved. Maybe I can do a story about it in my paper.

                  regards,
                  sanjay

                  NITYIN <bnityin@...> wrote:

[...]

                • ramit kakkar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 14, 2005
                    hi guys
                    over the past few days i have gone through the mails written by you on NJPC and the sorrows related to it. i am awe struck by the about of information exchanged, at the same time i am angered by the fact that all this worthy information which is so important to the common people of this country and our very own state of himachal has not found its way in the right place and at the right time.

                    i must say that i too am not from a technical background, but as a lay man i would say that huge dams as made by NJPC do have a drastic impact on the ecology of that particular place. hydro generation of energy per se as a method may not cause harm to the ecology as thermal generation of power does. but at the same time it has its disadvantages.

                    recently i was reading an article in tehelka newspaper which talked of what is happening in the north east where hyro projects are coming up as malls are i the NCR region. it talked of the harmful impact of these projects on the ecology of the region and also its impact on the local tribe people, the area of whom is disappearing as cats are from indian forests.

                    corruption per se as a problem is as deep rooted in the indian system as one can imagine and when it comes to big money changing hands, comissions, under hand payments are a common sight. i hope that the dream to make himachal a power state may come true and i hope that it does not suffer the same fate as our aim to make himachal the fruit bowl of india did.

                    hoping for more inputs from all ends
                    keep up the good work

                    trust all is well
                    ramit

                  • pankaj sharma
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 14, 2005
                      Hi Guys, this is good information about the project.
                      Can i get some photographs of this DAM from somewhere?

                      __________________________________
                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • HARSHVARDHAN SINGH

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 15, 2005
                          Hi Nityin

                          I would like to add on to your points. Sanjay Gandhi
                          Vidyut Pariyojna is indeed a technical marvel. It is a
                          120 MW project. The whole project is underground and
                          when i say underground, i mean the power house, the
                          control offices has been dug inside the mighty
                          himalayas. Water is stored in dam in Bhaba Nagar from
                          where it is carried on to turbines, a distance of
                          around 5 6 kms but with height drop of around 1,000
                          metres. The discharge is in Sutlej river. This project
                          has 3 turbines of 40 MW each. All three have been
                          imported and comissioned from some scandinavian
                          country. Last i heard, two of the turbines were out of
                          order and the project was only running on 1 turbine
                          i.e 40 MW. Since, to bring any repairs would mean
                          stopping the project completely.

                          Now some of the points as to why Sanjay Vidyut
                          Pariyojna is being talked with NJPC these days.
                          The disharge point of Sanjay Vidyut pariyojna was
                          originally around 30-40 feet from sutlej basin in year
                          1998-99. Then the terrible flash floods in sutlej of
                          2001 changed everything. More than 300 lives were
                          lost. A whole bus stop named "wangtu" which was
                          transit point towards Bhaba Nagar and the tunnel was
                          washed away. That place was the entry point to Kinnaur
                          and Ladhak and vistors passes used to be checked. Now
                          all that has been done away with. So after the
                          flooding the height between discharge point and sutlej
                          river was cut down to 15-20 feet only. Rest was
                          filled with the silt brought by floods.

                          Now enters NJPC. When HPSEB along with Geologial
                          Survey Deptt of India was conducting survey for NJPC
                          dam site which is only one to one and half kilometer
                          from the discharge point of Sanjay Vidyut Pariyojna.
                          They blundered by calculating the dam height less by 2
                          metres. So what happened while executing the project
                          was that those 2 metres were very crucial. That cut
                          down the power generation of NJPC by almost half,
                          since the water catchment area went down!
                          Now if they increase the height by 2metres. The dam
                          would stop enough water to submerge the discharge
                          point of Sanjay Vidyut Pariyojna. and water would
                          flood the turbines.
                          So naturally a big fight ensued between NJPC and
                          HPSEB, since HPSEB was the loser if Sanjay Vidut
                          project shuts down. Finally they patched up and got
                          some sort of compromise formulae. After increasing the
                          height of the NJPC dam, now the height difference
                          between the sutlej and sanjay vidyut project discharge
                          point is around 3 to 4 feet.
                          Another interesting point though. While doing survey
                          they not only miscalculated the height of the dam but
                          also the silt content of the sutlej river. Silt is the
                          very small earth particles sutlej river brings with
                          it. This silt if not filtered from the water would go
                          inside the turbine with water with very large force.
                          Imagine particles of sand hitting your face on a very
                          windy day when you are driving on a motorcycle.
                          Well thats what is happening to NJPC turbines these
                          days. The silt content of the dam was miscalculated so
                          much that the turbines have started to rust already.
                          Because the silt with water is damaging the turbines.
                          I am not aware if BHEL(Indian) turbines are doing
                          better than the Alstom(Swedish) turbines. But it is a
                          real shame. On account of silt, the dam has already
                          been stopped before a lot. They are trying to coat the
                          turbines with various special paints. Lets see how it
                          works now.
                          Already himachal has lost close to 300-400 crores of
                          income from NJPC. It is a real shame that the only
                          avenue from where Himachal earns some money is so much
                          in technical trouble. Lets hope Rampur Hydel project
                          and many others coming up dont see such kind of
                          mistakes.
                          Regards,
                          Tenzin

                          http://mail.yahoo.com