Broadband over electric line in shimla

  • viplav
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2006
      hi,

      i don't know how many of you know this.
      A company called PLC Networks Solution has started giving
      Broadband over power line, here is full link of the news
      http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=105280
      This is great considering that the dialup takes ages and the BB is yet
      to make big splash

      \/ | /" /_ /\ \/ /< /-/() /) /\
    • NITYIN
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2006
        Hi Viplav.. thats interesting news... Hopefully someday the same technology may be available in our houses!

        Ok a general question l... I get a very poor speed from BSNL for internet from a landline connection here in the hills... I want to switch over to GPRS.. have heard a lot about it but have no idea how it works.. My questions are:

        • Can I make calls when connected through GPRS?
        How do they bill... meaning everytime I log on do I pay for telephone call like BSNL? I will be using net for surfing and mails.. I won't be downloading much..

        Nitin

      • Pankaj Sharma
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2006
          Here is a good information from nokia website .http://www.nokia.ie/nokia/0,8764,29312,00.html
          .

          GPRS billing is done on usage basis like number of bytes uploaded/downloaded. But you do have plans like unlimited usage for as low as 500/month. Airtel gives that.

          Pankaj.

          NITYIN <bnityin@...> wrote:
          Hi Viplav.. thats interesting news... Hopefully someday the same technology may be available in our houses!

          Ok a general question l... I get a very poor speed from BSNL for internet from a landline connection here in the hills... I want to switch over to GPRS.. have heard a lot about it but have no idea how it works.. My questions are:

          • Can I make calls when connected through GPRS?
          How do they bill... meaning everytime I log on do I pay for telephone call like BSNL? I will be using net for surfing and mails.. I won't be downloading much..

          Nitin

        • viplav
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27, 2006
            dear nitin

            i had GPRS for some time, but i used it over the cell and not for
            the PC.
            I dont know if it can be used over PC but it is available for
            laptop, a card has to be bought which cost around Rs.8000 and there
            is a monthly change of somewhere 400 to 600 depending on ur service
            provider.
            Ther is no other charges(may be taxes extra)
            TATA Indicom, Airtel and Reliance CDMA all of them provide it but
            dont know if they provide it in shimla.

            Some of the operators have different way of charging, they will not
            chanrge any monthly rnt(or a small amount; Rs. 50 by HUTCH), and
            then they will charge u on the usage. However that is expensive.

            I think BSNL is comming out with Broadband in big way and during
            India pakistan match i read that all there phones are BB redy and BB
            is free for first few months.

            Just in case u try BSNL BB then do let me know also.

            regards
            viplav Khoda
          • NITYIN
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27, 2006
               Thanks guys for all the information... Viplav the BB has been launched in HP in Shimla and Dharamsala towns only... It will take a long time here to make the rural exchanges BB ready... I did speak to a few friends in Shimla and they have recomended the internet facility of Reliance to be good... I'll just shop around..

              Nitin