Shimla news vendor calls it a day after 58 years

  • Varun Rattan Singh
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2006
      Shimla news vendor calls it a day after 58 years

      By Baldev S. Chauhan, Shimla, Dec 31: Come rain, snow, or sunshine, you
      always found this news vendor selling newspapers and magazines in
      downtown Shimla. Now, Bishan Dass Sharma has decided to call it a day -
      after 58 years.

      Sharma (79), popularly known as Pandit-ji, was a permanent feature on
      the bustling Mall. He has decided to hang his boots and return to his
      native village in the Himalayan foothills.

      "Though Pandit-ji was curt in his manner, he was an ace news vendor and
      always delivered what you asked him," said Ramesh Sharma, one of his
      many customers.

      Pandit-ji's another client said: "He was indeed one of the most
      conspicuous figures at the edge of the Gaiety theatre building of the
      British Raj era. We will miss him."

      There were stories about him being a Criminal Investigation Department
      (CID) agent. The stories got credence because no other newsvendor could
      start a shop in the vicinity of Pandit-ji in all these years.

      "I received a lot of love and affection from the people which I will
      always treasure," Sharma told IANS a few days before leaving for his
      Mehatpur village in Una district, some 220 km from here.

      "It will be difficult to adjust to a new life as I know the art of
      selling newspapers and magazines for the last 60 years," he said.

      --- IANS
      --
      Varun Rattan Singh

      Team member
      www.HimVani.com - The Voice of Himachal
      Rediscover your roots !

      Block F 38 | Institute of Rural Management Anand | Anand | Gujarat | 388
      001 | Phone No: +91 99985 24165