how to kill

  • k.r ravi
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2010
      K.R.RAVI
      WWW.KRRAVI.COM

      DO YOU KNOW HOW TO KILL ?

      Readers may recall many of my articles that dealt with superstition. Considering that the majority of readers are Indian I am accustomed to giving Indian examples to substantiate my points. In response I get emails that essentially says as follows
      ‘Ravi, you have lived in the US and have therefore developed a habit that plagues NRI’s. You like to undermine India and eulogise the US. If you were as objective as you think you are, you might have noticed that Americans too are superstitious. The whole world knows that Americans believe in the superstition that the number 13 brings bad luck .What do you have to say to this?’ So saying the irate reader perhaps thinks he has defeated me and is now marching into the sunset, bugles and trumpets heralding his victory.
      · My 10 year old niece took up a project in community service in a tier2 city . She decided to collect money and clothes etc for children at an orphanage in the town. She carried with her the School ID and reference papers attesting to her bonafides. One day she came home crying. ‘Many people are scolding me’ she sobbed ‘You are no different from a beggar. Beggars want money for themselves and you are begging for someone else. It is the same. Go away’they are telling me.’
      · A minister in the Union Cabinet insulted the pilot of Air India for what he thought was inadequate respect shown to him.
      ‘After all the pilot is like a rickshaw puller’ said the great minister.

      In each of these instances several errors of thinking are being committed. In this piece I shall confine myself to a few aspects.
      Take the first case of superstition. Almost all irate readers who emailed me pointed to the ‘ 13’ superstition in the US. Not one reader could tell me any other ‘superstition’ in the west. I can write an entire book on the plethora of superstitions in India. Readers committed what is called the ‘ error of scale’ and in their zeal to put me down lost their objectivity. To dismiss some idea as being the same as another is a great idea killer.
      My niece’s experience is another example of how by resorting to comparisons to a beggar and seeking similarities, —and finding no difference—the gentlemen had robbed the kid of her self esteem at an innocent age. Besides why show contempt to a beggar ? In this process of seeing no difference between what the child was doing and the actions of an unfortunate beggar the gentlemen had denied themselves of what could have been an ennobling experience –seeing a child show concern for other less fortunate kids.
      As for the pilot episode it shows the contempt with which the politician holds a poor rickshaw puller. And in any case there is a world of difference between the education, training and skills of a pilot and a rickshaw puller .
      ‘It is the same as…’ is a powerful idea killer . One of the insidious ways in which such a statement destroys an idea is to predispose the minds of all listeners in the audience to unconsciously look for similarities rather than the novel elements in the idea. Once so conditioned the listeners will dismiss the idea summarily. Innovators are aware of this phenomenon and they start their presentation by dramatically presenting the differences!
      Does this article sound the same as another article you read the other day?

      k.r.ravi
      www.krravi.com
    • anup g suvarna
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2010
        Hi,

        Good article by Ravi. However most of his readers would have realized by now that such exercises in self pity, without any indication of moving towards solutions will get us nowhere.

        It's always better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

        Also instead of the title 'How to Kill', Ravi should have been much more positive and used "How to Cure".

        Thanks for letting me share my views.

        Regards,
        Anup G. S.

        To: trainers_forum@...