Re: [Trainers Forum] Army Chief and MOD

  • Sundararaajan S
    Message 1 of 5 , 4 Apr 3:56 am
      quote//// Few years back, I read a small noting of a Public Sector CEO, who after negotiating a difficult deal with a supplier finally asked him as to what would be his cut in the deal. Though the supplier was taken aback, he managed to brace himself to indicate an amount, which he found should be adequate for the CEO. The CEO then told the supplier, now deduct that amount from your finally negotiated price and do this project for me. WonтАЩt that be a better option????///

      The following information was not very much in the public domain since it was not thought a great thing in those days.
      When Sree R.Venkataraman ( ex president) was the Industry minister of Madras ( presently Tamil Nadu) was negotiating for 4 wheat flour machines for the Government department with a Japanese manufacturer.  . After the negations were over the Japanese were thrilled and offered him ' handsome dividend" for the purchase. After ensuring what the amount was, Venkataraman immediately told them "to supply one more machine".

      SSR

      From: Rajesh Trivedi <rajesh.p.trivedi@...>

      Thank you Lt. Col. RVS Mani, (not writing Retd. as I believe a Soldier is always a soldier and never retires; only battle ground changes)
      I agree with your suggestion that the time has come to stop pushing everything under carpet in name of тАЬconfidentiality тАЬor тАЬNational Interest тАЬ. From Bofor Scam to Kargil Coffin & now to bribe things have not changed nor there do any sign of improvement. There is a need to look at Defense Services objectively & inculcate best practices from corporate world . ┬а

      On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Lt Col (Retd) RVS Mani <soakce@...> wrote:

      Sharing some random thoughts that came to my mind

      EU TU GENERAL

      The Tamil Saint Thiruvalluvar had stated in his famous couplet

      тАЬропро╛роХро╛ро╡ро░ро╛ропро┐ройрпБроорпН роиро╛роХро╛роХрпНроХ роХро╛ро╡ро╛роХрпНроХро╛ро▓рпН
      роЪрпЛроХро╛рокрпНрокро░рпН роЪрпКро▓рпН роЗро┤рпБроХрпНроХрокрпНрокроЯрпНроЯрпБ"

      meaning тАЬWhatever else is unguarded, one should restrain the tongue, for a wagging tongue could give immense troubleтАЭ

      This is what had happened, when in his fag end of the tenure, Army Chief had decided in his own wisdom to give an interview to The Hindu. When the date of birth controversy ended in a smooth note, we, the Ex-Service officers had a sigh of relief proving, тАЬAll is Well, that Ends WellтАЭ. No one could have expected the next salvo from our Chief.

      It was really ironic that the interview of the Chief, about the offer of bribe, was published as Headlines in the first page and in the Op-Ed page Editorial, the Chief Editor thought it befitting to recommend a strong case for Permanent Commission for Women Officers in Indian Army тАУ probably he found them to be suitable alternative to arrest this mess in procurement.
      No sooner the issue was debated and debated threadbare both in the Parliament and popular TV Channels, Chief sent his next missive. Whomsoever had leaked the letter to the press, found the time quite apt to get enough mileage from the publicity. Discussion on this topic continued for two more days, to the extent of dismissing the Chief, without realising as to what that would mean to a second largest Army in the World.

      It is lull in the battle now; groups are getting reorganised. Parliament is also not in session. Some other issue shall take the first page relegating the above topics to third, if not, fourth page.

      IPL shall follow and any such issues shall have no place when the teams shall be uppermost in all channels for the next two months. By then the present Chief would have retired and the new Chief would have taken over. Everything shall start from square one.

      After two years, the new Chief shall also write one Secret letter to PM, copy to RM and the Indian Army would still not be modernised. The modernisation of the Army started after the debacle of 1962 and is still continuing. We had fought one war in 1965 with half stomach, still won it on strong grounds (some may remember the then PM, Shri Lal Bahadur SastriтАЩs address to the Nation, to undergo fast on one evening every week тАУ on Monday). 1971, we fought otherтАЩs fight, but won it magnanimously. Even then, our Army was not a modernised force.

      Having an experience of fighting in otherтАЩs land, without full fledged planning and preparation went into Srilanka and the problems and trauma faced by IPKF is mostly not known to others. We did a face saving retreat from that adventure. We were yet to modernise.

      Since then, many Chiefs had come and gone. General Sunderji almost brought a nuclear show down; but wise sense prevailed. We were considered equal to any other force in the World, but still we were not fully modernised.

      It would not be out of place here to mention about the struggles and living conditions of our forces fighting day in and day out, against the Nature тАУ at the highest battle ground in the World, the Siachen Glacier. Not a day passes without someone getting evacuated from that location. Once their tenure gets over, there are many cases of psychological disorders noticed and treated. Still our Army is not a modern force.

      After a gap of nearly two decades plus, Kargil war displayed rare acts of courage, determination and showcased to the comity of Nations that India should not be taken lightly. The supreme sacrifices done during that war by the young and energetic officers, some experienced Junior Commissioned Officers and the Jawans were no less, as compared to any full fledged campaigns put together. But for them, their relentless pursuit, capturing heights after heights, sometime without any rest and respite, we would not have achieved our Goals in that war. Though it was aimed against a тАЬnamelss-enemyтАЭ, it was a fine victory indeed. Even then, our Army was not modernised, as compared to the forces fought in Gulf War time.

      If you really look into these periods, starting from barefoot, .303 borne soldiers in 1962 War to the soldiers carrying AK 47 rifles now, Indian Army has come a long way. At no time, the тАЬUnknown SoldierтАЭ had stopped shy of marching ahead, whether he is equipped well or not. For him тАЬIZZATтАЭ is upper most in his mind, rest is all secondary. He is not bothered whether his kith and kin shall be looked after, even if he fails to return alive from the battle. He does not question nor he is concerned as to who made what and how much in the various procurement deals; for him, a simple soul, he just needs the best of training, a square meal and the way to come alive at all times.

      He cherishes the motto, тАЬVeer Bogya VasundaraтАЭ тАУ a Gita saying, roughly translated, the Heavens belongs to the Brave. May be that could be the reason, our Army is still trying to get modernised.

      What is required to be done.

      1. Let us turn inwards; our Industries in India can get the Best of Best products. Let us encourage them to equip our forces.
      2. Despite all scams and auditors remarks around, the Metro organisations in various cities have proved that Top Class projects can be completed before time and all accounts go transparent for anyone to check. Let us try to model the same procedures and processes in other transactions.
      3. In the garb of National Security, let us not wipe things under the carpet. If it needs to be discussed at National Level, let us do it and invite concrete suggestions and recommendation from learned few for implementation through such open debates.
      4. Our Defence R&D are doing wonderful projects and efforts must be made to infuse their resultant products into the Forces, without inordinate delays. Bulk production must be handed over to the best of best industries and not to Public Sector units only.
      5. The Chiefs of all the three forces тАУ on assuming appointment are aware of their tenure, as to when it would end. By taking a complete stock of what is available and what is reasonable he can achieve during his tenure, he should plan his projections, something like a vision statement. Once his presentation is accepted by RM, then his deputies in the Ministry should make sure that ChiefтАЩs plan is achieved, as per the time schedule given. In such decided projects, there should be frequent and regular monitoring with representatives from the forces.
      6. As the outgoing Chiefs hands over the baton, the new Chief shall take on and bring in his new initiatives тАУ it the chain works well, over a period of 10 to 20 years, we can challenge to be the Best Equipped Defence Force in the World.
      7. To smoothen out the working relationship between the Forces and the Ministry, one suggestion could be to post retired defence officers, who had earlier worked in respective Army / Air / Naval HQ at Delhi as liaison officers in the Ministry тАУ for progressing and monitoring the various projects and ensure that due transparency is established.

      Few years back, I read a small noting of a Public Sector CEO, who after negotiating a difficult deal with a supplier finally asked him as to what would be his cut in the deal. Though the supplier was taken aback, he managed to brace himself to indicate an amount, which he found should be adequate for the CEO. The CEO then told the supplier, now deduct that amount from your finally negotiated price and do this project for me. WonтАЩt that be a better option????

      TRAINERS FORUM - The LARGEST Community of TRAINERS in India (and beyond!). To get in touch with over 6000 Trainers, Educators & HR professionals from various industries and verticals, please send an e-mail to: trainers_forum@...

      To join this WONDERFUL group, please send an blank e-mail to:
      trainers_forum-subscribe@...

      Check out our Brand Extensions:

      DISCLAIMER:

      Trainers Forum as a group does not vouch for, nor is responsible for any claims made by Advertisers, Individuals or Training Agencies which are posted on the group mailing list or our website. Members are recommended to make proper enquiries and seek appropriate advice before sending money, incurring any expenses, acting on recommendations or entering into any commitment in relation to any of the messages posted on the group mailing list or our website Уwww.trainersforum.inФ. The Moderators or the Webmaster will not be liable for any damage caused.

      Members are advised to seek permission from respective authors / publishers prior to circulating / posting COPYRIGHTED material in this group.
      .

    • Management Mail
      Message 2 of 5 , 4 Apr 11:22 pm

        Tamasha on Night of January 16

        "Night of January 16" is an interesting expression. Not that what happened on Night of January 16 this year was anything short of drama, but also the said expression is the title of a play written by a famous novelist, Ayn Rand. Her play is about a man singled out for persecution by whole town. He is eventually defended by the female lead, and in the end audience is asked to play jury and pronounce a judgment. Does it strike any chord yet?

        We may never find out if there was more to it than meets the eye. But the Tamasha did happen. And last night, Shekhar Gupta sat of television channels defending his story; a story written for the consumption of sensation addict Indians. Addicts are used to ignore the statutory warnings on cigarette packs and elsewhere.

        You may have come across this- People see what they want to see; they hear what they want to hear; they feel what they want to feel etc. This term ‘want to’ is the driving force of sensationalism. Now when media is drum beating about a rift between General Singh and Political Establishment; it is only logical that people will ignore the caution so skillfully embedded in the story and would like to believe the sensational implications of this reporting. Mother Nature works in a ‘curious’ ways. Sometimes clouds in sky may appear to have a shape of Ganesha or on another occasion it may appear like ‘Hands of God’. The sensation in such matter stems from art of capturing image through a camera. Also, if the camera angle were any different or the position of photographer were different same ‘curious’ phenomenon ceases to exist. Now Shekhar Gupta and Rajdeep were trying to sensationalize it further by connecting ‘Night of January 16 Episode’ with a ‘c’ word and stopped short of pronouncing it on the television.

        Indian Express’s flight of fancy has brought out into open the prospect of a Coup perpetrated by armed forces in India. Such an event is fantasized by romantic nationalists who are disgusted by political establishment’s tyranny. And this is not the only fantasy, there are others. Like- What if Subhash Chandra Bose was successful in liberating India from British. What if leaders like Nehru had paid attention to Mahatma Gandhi’s call of dismantling Congress before India gained independence? What if the British were unable to conquer India through East India Company? We all know fantasies aren’t true and flight of fancy is an idle mind’s occupation.

        Just like me, most Indians would like to believe the official version, and read nothing else in this episode. Yet the spice elements of the story continue to affect the senses. Mind refuses to believe that what happened was only limited to what is being told in the official version. I begin to wonder, why my mind has become like that. Perhaps, because we are otherwise being served such a large dose of Tamasha in the normal course that we permanently remain in a ‘Tamasha Seeking Mode’.

        https://twitter.com/navendumahodaya
        On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Lt Col (Retd) RVS Mani <soakce@...> wrote:

        Dear All

        Sharing some random thoughts that came to my mind

        EU TU GENERAL

        The Tamil Saint Thiruvalluvar had stated in his famous couplet

        யாகாவராயினும் நாகாக்க காவாக்கால்
        சோகாப்பர் சொல் இழுக்கப்பட்டு"

        meaning “Whatever else is unguarded, one should restrain the tongue, for a wagging tongue could give immense trouble”

        This is what had happened, when in his fag end of the tenure, Army Chief had decided in his own wisdom to give an interview to The Hindu. When the date of birth controversy ended in a smooth note, we, the Ex-Service officers had a sigh of relief proving, “All is Well, that Ends Well”. No one could have expected the next salvo from our Chief.

        It was really ironic that the interview of the Chief, about the offer of bribe, was published as Headlines in the first page and in the Op-Ed page Editorial, the Chief Editor thought it befitting to recommend a strong case for Permanent Commission for Women Officers in Indian Army – probably he found them to be suitable alternative to arrest this mess in procurement.
[...]

        After two years, the new Chief shall also write one Secret letter to PM, copy to RM and the Indian Army would still not be modernised. The modernisation of the Army started after the debacle of 1962 and is still continuing. We had fought one war in 1965 with half stomach, still won it on strong grounds (some may remember the then PM, Shri Lal Bahadur Sastri’s address to the Nation, to undergo fast on one evening every week – on Monday). 1971, we fought other’s fight, but won it magnanimously. Even then, our Army was not a modernised force.

        Having an experience of fighting in other’s land, without full fledged planning and preparation went into Srilanka and the problems and trauma faced by IPKF is mostly not known to others. We did a face saving retreat from that adventure. We were yet to modernise.

        Since then, many Chiefs had come and gone. General Sunderji almost brought a nuclear show down; but wise sense prevailed. We were considered equal to any other force in the World, but still we were not fully modernised.

        It would not be out of place here to mention about the struggles and living conditions of our forces fighting day in and day out, against the Nature – at the highest battle ground in the World, the Siachen Glacier. Not a day passes without someone getting evacuated from that location. Once their tenure gets over, there are many cases of psychological disorders noticed and treated. Still our Army is not a modern force.

        After a gap of nearly two decades plus, Kargil war displayed rare acts of courage, determination and showcased to the comity of Nations that India should not be taken lightly. The supreme sacrifices done during that war by the young and energetic officers, some experienced Junior Commissioned Officers and the Jawans were no less, as compared to any full fledged campaigns put together. But for them, their relentless pursuit, capturing heights after heights, sometime without any rest and respite, we would not have achieved our Goals in that war. Though it was aimed against a “namelss-enemy”, it was a fine victory indeed. Even then, our Army was not modernised, as compared to the forces fought in Gulf War time.

        If you really look into these periods, starting from barefoot, .303 borne soldiers in 1962 War to the soldiers carrying AK 47 rifles now, Indian Army has come a long way. At no time, the “Unknown Soldier” had stopped shy of marching ahead, whether he is equipped well or not. For him “IZZAT” is upper most in his mind, rest is all secondary. He is not bothered whether his kith and kin shall be looked after, even if he fails to return alive from the battle. He does not question nor he is concerned as to who made what and how much in the various procurement deals; for him, a simple soul, he just needs the best of training, a square meal and the way to come alive at all times.

        He cherishes the motto, “Veer Bogya Vasundara” – a Gita saying, roughly translated, the Heavens belongs to the Brave. May be that could be the reason, our Army is still trying to get modernised.

[...]

        5. The Chiefs of all the three forces – on assuming appointment are aware of their tenure, as to when it would end. By taking a complete stock of what is available and what is reasonable he can achieve during his tenure, he should plan his projections, something like a vision statement. Once his presentation is accepted by RM, then his deputies in the Ministry should make sure that Chief’s plan is achieved, as per the time schedule given. In such decided projects, there should be frequent and regular monitoring with representatives from the forces.
        6. As the outgoing Chiefs hands over the baton, the new Chief shall take on and bring in his new initiatives – it the chain works well, over a period of 10 to 20 years, we can challenge to be the Best Equipped Defence Force in the World.
        7. To smoothen out the working relationship between the Forces and the Ministry, one suggestion could be to post retired defence officers, who had earlier worked in respective Army / Air / Naval HQ at Delhi as liaison officers in the Ministry – for progressing and monitoring the various projects and ensure that due transparency is established.

        Few years back, I read a small noting of a Public Sector CEO, who after negotiating a difficult deal with a supplier finally asked him as to what would be his cut in the deal. Though the supplier was taken aback, he managed to brace himself to indicate an amount, which he found should be adequate for the CEO. The CEO then told the supplier, now deduct that amount from your finally negotiated price and do this project for me. Won’t that be a better option????

        Fond regards,

        (RVS Mani)
        Lt Col (Retd)
        Director-Chennai
        Magod Laser Machining Pvt Ltd
        Mobile : 93803 70010

        "The world does not pay for what a person knows. But it pays for what a person does with what he knows."-~Laurence Lee

      • Ashok